How to Frame Your Builder Grade Mirror

$50

Hi, I'm Amber Oliver! I hope if you enjoy this project you'll also stop by my blog!

When you hear "builder grade" you probably have the same yellow/beige color I'm thinking of come to mind. You've seen those boring bathroom mirrors that are essentially just glass stuck to the wall. I teamed up with a Hometalker who had FIVE of these mirrors in her house and knew she needed an easy way to transform them.

If you're in the Houston area, I can help you create this look for your home! Click here to see how I can help you & send me a message to get started!

We started with these mirrors in the master bathroom. As you can see there's nothing interesting about them - just a plain mirror hung on the wall.

With a few cuts and some glue we transformed these mirrors!

The first thing we did was put up the corner pieces.

Add a bit of glue and press directly onto the mirror. Make sure you are lined up directly into the corner!

Next, measure the space between the corner pieces and cut your trim board to fit!

Glue up your trim boards and use a bit of tape if they need help staying in place.

Once all your trim is in place - add a little extra tape if you notice it's slid down after a few minutes. Once it starts to dry, your pieces will stay in place.

Note: we painted our pieces before putting them up. Much easier to paint before it goes on the mirror!

Allow plenty of time for the adhesive to dry before removing your tape!

Enjoy your beautiful new mirrors!

These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Amber Oliver

• Marcella
    Marcella

My mirror has metal clips holding it up - how do you work around those?

• Krafty Mrs.K
      Krafty Mrs.K

Well our is a work in progress, but we screwed wood pieces to the wall around the mirror and screwed the wood frame to those to hold it just over the plastic clips. Then we mitered quarter rounds to trim inside the frame which just glued to the mirror. that filled the gap.

Because we dressed up the trim even more, I think the two mirrored medicine cabinets which my husband balked at ) would have cost less. But we hid the water damage on old mirror we reused.

• Maria
    Maria

what if mirror has a beveled edge?

• Tish
      Tish

Depends on *how beveled* it is and how wide the bevel area is... most are fairly shallow and not that wide, so as long as you put an adequate amount (but not too much!) adhesive and make sure you have the pieces affixed in place with your tape you should be fine.

Be sure your mirror is exquisitely clean and dry, and that you don’t get in a hurry... let that adhesive COMPLETELY dry before you remove the tape holding it in place.

Good luck! Hope you get to *fancy up* your mirror!

• Robert Penn
    Robert Penn

What type of tape did you use to help hold the frame?

• Tish
    Tish

I live in an apartment and will be using either Command Strips or double-sided tape to attach my trim... I’ve just replaced the tacky builder grade lighting (it will stay if I move) and if the corporate office doesn’t like the trim, this is an easy removal. Caulking the edges will make it look seamless and professional. (I got permission to add knobs and handles to all the cabinet doors and drawers as well... I think I will have the best apartment in the complex once I’m finished! 😂)

Thanks for showing others how to do this as it’s such an improvement over the plain mirror. (I had done this in my house instead of spending the money to buy a mirror with a frame when it wasn’t necessary! 🤩)

• Barbara Butler
    Barbara Butler

The glue just won’t keep the very light wood up for long..