How to easily clean a tarnished silver necklace?

+4

I think I read somewhere in Hometalk easy ways to clean my necklace which has become tarnished with age

q how to easily clean a tarnished silver necklace

It’s made with old California beach glass from the ‘30s. Thanks for your ideas!

• Catherine Juhlin Catherine Juhlin on Nov 11, 2018

Baking soda and water semi thick paste, tub it, then rinse off.

• Carolyn Carolyn on Nov 11, 2018

Take a small disposable aluminum pan and put about a half cup of baking soda in it. Next, pour boiling water into the pan with the baking soda and stir until it is dissolved. Then, put your necklace into the pan and it will magically remove the tarnish immediately. There must be enough water added to the pan to completely cover the necklace. Then, just remove it from the pan, rinse and dry. Good luck to you.

• I would be wary of soaking it in anything because of the stones. I would hate to see them damaged. I would use a silver polishing cloth and clean it carefully, avoiding the stones.

• Th toothpaste. Not gel, the old fashioned paste type and an old toothbrush, or pick one up at the dollar store. I have something similar and it worked for me. Beautiful necklace!

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 12, 2018

Hi there,

Yes, Toothpaste and an old toothbrush is the best way to go, then rinse/brush in warm water to clear residue and buff dry......

• Vera Johnson Vera Johnson on Nov 13, 2018

I have tons of old sterling silver jewelry. I've tried everything that anyone told me about. Toothpaste and old or very soft new toothbrush work the best, especially when there are intricate designs. If your silver is smooth the best is an actual jewelry cleaning cloth. They have 2 sides... for really cleaning, and for buffing

• Nanaspeaks Nanaspeaks on Nov 17, 2018

I like to use ketchup for my silver jewelry. Pretty inexpensive and works great leave it in the ketchup for a few minutes. Rinse well and dry well with soft cloth. Repeat if not perfect. I use a soft brush when needed. Good luck.