Rustic Wood Table Runner

$15

I wanted something fun for my table this year. Even though it will be used for the first time during our Thanksgiving dinner I made it so it could be used throughout the entire year.

The estimated cost of this project is assuming you already have a cutting machine and most of the materials. I had most everything at home left over from different projects. The only thing I purchased were the handles.

rustic wood table runner

The first thing is to cut a wood piece to size, sand and stain it I have a nice, long table so I cut mine 4 ft long. The wood is a 1x8 piece of pine.

I also used 2 pieces for each end that will include a handle...just for looks. These pieces are 3 inches wide and the same length as the wood runner piece.

rustic wood table runner

I love to stencil and I thought some text on this piece would be fun. I used my (affiliate link) Silhouette Cameo to create a "Let's Eat" stencil. There is a video on the blog if you would like to see how I added the stencil to the wood runner using transfer tape. That is the best way to get perfect results every time.

These are the stencils before the backing is removed. First I added the transfer tape on the top.

rustic wood table runner

Then peel off the backing and stick it to the piece. Make sure it is even and centered.

Then it is ready for paint.

rustic wood table runner

I used white paint. I started with a stencil brush but did not like the brush marks so I went over it again with a regular, small paint brush.

rustic wood table runner

Once you remove the stencil, you have perfectly painted text!

rustic wood table runner

Then I added the two end pieces and the fun handles. I like the chunky handles for a fun, rustic, farmhouse look.

rustic wood table runner

What do you think? I just love it.

rustic wood table runner

If you like this project you will probably love just about every project I make. Sign up for my email/newsletter and receive emails with my latest projects.

Michelle

Michelle James

• Denise Maruszczak

Hi I would really like to try this but don't understand how you did the end bits?

• Michelle James

Haha! I put different kinds of candy in them for each of the guests. It is just fun! Thank you! That was a different post I did. You can find it if you click on my profile.

• Darla

Did you varnish