DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

DIY Holiday Room Spray

$2

I love the holidays as well as the scents of the holidays. I also love to make up little inexpensive gifts to give to my family and friends. I've got an awesome little yummy smelling project that fits both of these categories and I'm going to tell you how I did it so you'll be able to make some and give as gifts too.

diy holiday room spray

You will need Witch Hazel and an essential oil, scent of your choosing. For my first batch I decided to use doTERRA's Holiday Joy. There are SO MANY holiday scent recipes on Pinterest.

ETA: People are commenting on the awful smell of witch hazel, but the brand you see here has very little scent at all, not sure what the "stink" is all about!

diy holiday room spray

You will need the following to make your own room spray:

Witch hazel - 5 tablespoons (You can use Vodka instead)

Essential Oil (8-10 drops)

2 ounce amber glass bottle

Small funnel

Tablespoon measuring spoon

Ribbons and such for decorating the bottle if you wish

I suggest using dark colored glass bottles because the plastic ones tend to absorb all your yummy oils.

diy holiday room spray

Place the funnel in the bottle and add (5) tablespoons of witch hazel.

diy holiday room spray

Then add 8-10 drops of your essential oil. I used the doTERRA Holiday Joy. You may have to use more drops if you use lower grade essential oils.

diy holiday room spray

Now place the sprayer nozzle back on the bottle and tighten down. Tilt the bottle back and forth to blend the oil into the witchhazel.

diy holiday room spray

Now, if you want to decorate your bottle to make it a bit more festive, you can add a tag with the name of the scent you used. You can also add a few ribbons and such to achieve the festive look.

If you want to know how I made this tag using my home printer, just click right here to be taken directly to my blog post where I give you EASY step by step instructions.

diy holiday room spray

Tie on your tag and then doll it up with lots of ribbons and such to make for a lovely little gift that everyone will love! Each bottle of room spray cost me less than $1.50 to make. It could possibly cost you more if you don't already have the decorating items on hand.

DeeDee

• Robyn Garner

I actually detest the smell of witch hazel. Does the oil remove/overwhelm that smell or is there another carrier you can use?

Also, doesn't spraying an oil cause it to fall and attract dirt or stain upholstery? Thanks for your advice! 😎

• DeeDee

Hi Robyn! There are many other recipes on Pinterest you could use. One other carrier I know of is Vodka. I use these oils in my laundry too and I've never had a problem with them attracting dirt or staining anything. :)

• Patricia mooney

What is the substitute for which hazel

• DeeDee

Hi Patricia! You can use Vodka or distilled water if you like. :)

• Kat
    4 hours ago

Does the bottle need to be dark for a reason? I’ve saved larger clear spray bottles from deodorant so would have to make larger quantities!

• DeeDee
      31 minutes ago

Hi Kat! Here's what I got when I Googles your question:

Dark glass such as amber or cobalt helps to keep out deteriorating sunlight. It is best not to store essential oils in clear glass bottles. Clear glass bottles are not harmful to essential oils, but clear glass does not protect the oils from damaging sunlight. ... Essential oils should also be stored in a cool, dark place.

• Jennie Sesulka

Patty I'm with you! That awful smell is the first thing I thought of when I started reading the instructions

Thank You William for the terrific alternative!! Not much smell to that stuff!

I will be making some this week!

• That is adorable that’s a good idea for friend and teacher gifts