How do I take care of a Christmas cactus?

+4
  • Gloria Gloria on Dec 06, 2018

Some people think that because it's a cactus, it doesn't need water, but no! Water it just like you do any other indoor plant. When the surface is dry to the touch, water it. Half of mine blooms at Christmas, the other half at Easter!

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Dec 06, 2018

I agree with Gloria.

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Dec 06, 2018

My husband has one in his cubicle at work and he says to water it 3x a week.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Dec 06, 2018

There are 3 types Thanksgiving,Christmas & Easter. Good Drainage,dry thoroughly then water well,bright light no direct sun,they prefer to be root bound,not happy when transplanted,try not to move it when blooming not even to turn towards light it may drop all blooms,no drafts hot or cold,cool temps ok but not below 50 degrees.

• Carolyn Carolyn on Dec 06, 2018

Do not over water

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 08, 2018

Even when they are growing, don’t repot. If you can move them to a dark room or closet the first two weeks in December, then bring them out, they may bloom by Christmas. Only water once a month. Basically, ignore them. They will bloom when they are ready. Best wishes, ☺️

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 09, 2018

Hi Melba: I think my Christmas Cactus knows Glorias:) I don't treat mine differently than any other plant and they bloom their little hearts out at Christmas and/or Easter, depending on the type. The Christmas Cactus has sort of a smooth leaf with a forked top while the Easter Cactus looks a bit like Holly, only thicker. They are not fond of sunlight, so I'd keep them out of direct sunlight, but in a bright area. I do fertilize them with Schultz's plant food every couple of months. Don't let the dirt dry out, if it feels dry about 1/2" down, water. I water about every 2 weeks, about 1/2 cup of water for a large pot and 1/4 cup for the smaller ones. If you pick a leaf off of the plant and stick it into some dirt, it should grow you another plant:) Good luck.