Beginner Macrame Project - Boho Christmas Trees

$1

I'm so happy macrame is trending again. I can remember watching my Mom making the most beautiful things as a child. The way she could take bits of yarn and knot them together to form something amazing always fascinated me. Sadly I only know two basic knots. But that's all I needed to know to make these boho macrame Christmas trees

Aren't they cute? They're super easy to do and you can use up those scrap bits of yarn or wool you may have lying around. Besides the wool you'll need:

• A few straight-ish twigs or small branches from the garden
  • Jewellery wire or other decorative bits
  • A brush or comb
  • Fishing line to hang

Cut the yarn into 7- 8 inch pieces. Take two strands and fold them both in half to form a loop. Place one of the loops under a twig.

Take the looped end of the other strand, and push the ends of the strand that’s under the twig, through the loop. Thread the ends of that strand through the loop that’s under the twig.

Pull tight and repeat, Easy right? If it doesn't make sense you can watch this video to see how it's done. When you've added enough knotted strands, seperate the threads by using a brush or a comb. The "almost done" tree will be a little bit floppy so you'll need to stiffen it up with some starch. We make our own using my Gran's recipe. Psst she made hers using vodka and cornstarch.

Once the boho Christmas trees are stiff, trim them into a triangle shape and decorate with small baubles or beads. I just made a little flower star from jewelry wire.

They take about 10 minutes so you can make a whole bunch. I think they would make lovely gifts or you can hang them on your Christmas tree.

I would love to know what you think. Where would you put them?

Michelle Leslie

• Shannon W

Sorry if this has been asked before, I didn't seem to see it... is there a particular reason to use the Wool yarn rather than cotton or acrylic? Love these and will try in different colors :)

• Michelle Leslie

Not at all Shannon. Any kind of yarn will work. Sorry I'm from South Africa so wool and yarn are kinda interchangeable words for us

• Shannon W

Thanks so much Michelle ;)

• Wanda faye

you know how to macrame would love to know how to do bigger pieces! you could show on your site!

• Pyesangel

In the resources for this project you list beads. What did you use them for??? I don't see in the directions any use for them. What did I miss.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi there, I didn't use any beads on this version of the macrame trees, but if you don't want to make you're own topping from wire for the tree, you can use beads instead to decorate the little tree

• Pyesangel

Oh, ok, thanks!!! I'll have to give this project

a try for next year!!!

• Margie

how about using green, white, gold, etc. pipe cleaners; they'll be stiff already.

• Lori , Wisconsin

I saw this same technique used to make a feather, but I couldn't figure out how to get yarn on both sides of twig. Finished yarn was trimmed into feather shape. Thanks for the instructions!