Amber Oliver
Amber Oliver
  • Houston, TX

Adorable Laundry Room Storage From an Old Cabinet Door!

$5

Say goodbye to wasted space by using the wall in your laundry room to maximize storage.

Let me show you how I upcycled an old cabinet door into an adorable laundry room organizer.

I visited our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore where I found mismatched cabinet doors on sale for 50 cents each! But even if they'd been the full price, 3.99, it would have been a great deal!

Start by filling in the holes from the door handles with wood putty. Wipe away the excess then allow time to dry.

After the wood putty dries, give the door a light sanding.

Make sure you get into all the nooks and cranies.

Wipe the dust with a soft cloth when you're done sanding.

Now it's time for paint! 

Use a paint+primer to save time.

Now's time for the fun!

Vinyl labels help customize your laundry room organizer

I cut my labels on the and after removing the excess vinyl, I used transfer tape to put them in place.

For the lost socks, I hot glued clothes pins to hold mismatched socks until they can be reunited with their mate.

For the loose change, I screwed a hose clamp to hold a jar in place to catch coins from emptied pockets!

Lastly I used command hooks to add a catch-all basket!

This upcycle is an adorable project that would be easy to customize for your home!

I hope this project inspires you to upcycle an old cabinet door into something useful for your home!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Amber Oliver

• Kathy F

Wonderful idea!!

i am embarrassed to admit that I don’t know anything about transfer tape. Could you tell me what it is, where I buy it, and how you use it?

• Kathy F

Thank you for the direction, Shannon! I will take your suggestion and find the product to read more about it and how to use it.

• Gigi

Does anyone know what can be used on ruff stucco to hang things ?.I am not Permitted to use a drill as The inside is all that is owned. I Need to have things on the wall . Oh !.the building is poured concrete with rebar. Thank You

• V Smith

You could hang a rail on the cieling (much like a curtain rod or towel bar) and then hang things from the rail. I think you will have a tuff time with the Command strips unless you can sand smooth spots on the wall. Also don't overlook using wreath hooks that go over the door. You can hang your art on the hook and then hold it in place with Command strips. If you have brick walls inside (or outside) you can use BricClips to hang decor. A trend right now is to lean your art or mirrors, so that may work for you. A dab of hot glue on the corners (allow it to cool completely) can act like bumpers and can help keep your art hanging straight.

• Penny Mintyala

So cute. I would like this for my kitchen; and wow, my recipes would be there even if I moved the fridge. Which paint is best for the wear and year of the kitchen? My socks love together washing & drying.

• Trudy

Cute! But there would be no change jar on mine... any found money is considered the laundress' tip! ;)

• Margaret

I know that's the truth, about the coins. Wonderful idea, I want to make it for my kitchen!

• Divababiexoxo

That is a really cute idea and a great way to upcycle a cabinet door. great job! super cute and can use this and almost any room. Thanks for the idea