Dollar Store Pincushion Made From a Mason Jar and Bath Mat

$4

Strolling the aisles of our dollar store, I was inspired by a bath mat to make a pincushion. I've seen bright colored pincushions on Pinterest, but I wanted something with a farmhouse look. Adding a mason jar does the trick.

dollar store pincushion made from a mason jar and bath mat

The supplies gathered at the dollar store. A bath mat, mason jar, bag of cotton balls, and ponytail holders. The tools I used are a hot glue gun, glue sticks, finger protectors, scissors, and sharpie.

I used the seal of the mason jar to draw a circle on the bath mat. The circle is about 3/4 of an inch larger than the seal.

I used dots of glue to hold the bath mat circle on one edge of the seal.

I glue in three other locations around the seal. This will leave enough to stuff the bath mat circle with cotton balls.

I left an opening to fill with cotton balls. Before adding the cotton balls, I pulled them apart. This will help pins poke through the cotton easier.

I then sealed the cotton balls in with hot glue. The finger protecters help. I still have fingerprints! You can read my hot glue gun tips for more tips. Then use scissors to trim around the edge and top side of the seal. Don't worry about cutting through hot glue to too much of the bath mat. You will cover the edge in the next step.

Stretch three ponytail holders on the outside of the ring. I added a little hot glue to keep them in place.

Next, add hot glue to the inside of the ring. Make sure to not get glue where the grooves are to screw everything to the jar.

Then push the ring into the hot glue and add to your jar. Notice I cut out one of the flowers from the bath mat to decorate the top. Never thought I would "decorate" a pincushion!!

Now fill the jar with your favorite buttons.

Country Design Style-Jeanette

• Billie Jo Ross

Did i miss what the pony tail holders are for?

• I added them around the ring of the mason jar. A bit of glue held them in place. I like to add something around most of my mason jar rings. Usually I wrap twine around a few times and tie a knot.

• Lety

I don’t see how the bath mat ends in the top like a round ball 😳🙄

• I cut a circle from the bath mat a bit larger than the seal of the mason jar. Then started hot gluing the mat around the edge leaving a hole to insert several cotton balls. Then the mat was full of cotton balls I finished sealing the hole with more hot glue. Hope this helps.

• I love it. I usually read all the steps that's list during construction of the project. that's very helpful . I am putting in a powerful recommendation for anyone who wants to really do a project.

• Barbara
    31 minutes ago

I will definitely try this project. Good idea for a place for extra buttons or extra small things in my sewing and crafting. Thank you!!