Dollar Store Pincushion Made From a Mason Jar and Bath Mat

$4

Strolling the aisles of our dollar store, I was inspired by a bath mat to make a pincushion. I've seen bright colored pincushions on Pinterest, but I wanted something with a farmhouse look. Adding a mason jar does the trick.

The supplies gathered at the dollar store. A bath mat, mason jar, bag of cotton balls, and ponytail holders. The tools I used are a hot glue gun, glue sticks, finger protectors, scissors, and sharpie.

I used the seal of the mason jar to draw a circle on the bath mat. The circle is about 3/4 of an inch larger than the seal.

I used dots of glue to hold the bath mat circle on one edge of the seal.

I glue in three other locations around the seal. This will leave enough to stuff the bath mat circle with cotton balls.

I left an opening to fill with cotton balls. Before adding the cotton balls, I pulled them apart. This will help pins poke through the cotton easier.

I then sealed the cotton balls in with hot glue. The finger protecters help. I still have fingerprints! You can read my hot glue gun tips for more tips. Then use scissors to trim around the edge and top side of the seal. Don't worry about cutting through hot glue to too much of the bath mat. You will cover the edge in the next step.

Stretch three ponytail holders on the outside of the ring. I added a little hot glue to keep them in place.

Next, add hot glue to the inside of the ring. Make sure to not get glue where the grooves are to screw everything to the jar.

Then push the ring into the hot glue and add to your jar. Notice I cut out one of the flowers from the bath mat to decorate the top. Never thought I would "decorate" a pincushion!!

Now fill the jar with your favorite buttons.

Country Design Style-Jeanette

• Billie Jo Ross

Did i miss what the pony tail holders are for?

• I added them around the ring of the mason jar. A bit of glue held them in place. I like to add something around most of my mason jar rings. Usually I wrap twine around a few times and tie a knot.

• Lety Martinez

I don’t see how the bath mat ends in the top like a round ball 😳🙄

• Pat

That is the part of the directions where she leaves a gap in gluing the rug circle and 'fluffs' the cotton balls and stuffs them inside between the lid and rug piece, then glues the 'gap' closed.

• Barbara

I will definitely try this project. Good idea for a place for extra buttons or extra small things in my sewing and crafting. Thank you!!

• Thank you so much Barbara for reading about my pincushion. I'm loving using mine. I'm making another to keep in the downstairs in the laundry room.

• Shelli

Great idea. My button is calling for this project Thanks for sharing