Easy Rustic Farmhouse DIY Slide-In Picture Ledge

$20

Do you have a space on your walls that just needs a little oomph? This is the perfect solution! We built a sliding picture ledge to display some of our favorite family photos and we even squeezed in a space for a calendar.

Check out our video tutorial to create your picture ledges! With small adjustments, you could customize this project to fit frames of a different size (we used 16X20s). Get the building plans on Remodelaholic.com.

Head over to the lumber store and choose your boards. You will need 2x2s and a 1x4s. Cut them to length according to the building plans. Then, sand the rough edges.

You may choose to leave your lumber natural, but we mixed stain to cover the ends of the cut boards.

Mark the locations on your wall where your ledges will go. Be sure to find the studs.

It's helpful to pre-drill the holes for your wood screws (the video shows how to do this step). Attach the base pieces to the wall and then nail on the outer ledges. It's that simple!

In just a couple of hours, our wall went from blah to a statement piece. What types of decor/photos will you use in your sliding ledges?

The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Remodelaholic

• Donna Messinger

You mentioned the program "sketch up". Is that a free program or do you have to buy the software? I could really benefit from a program like that

• Remodelaholic

I am not sure what the functions of the free program are since we have to use a professional account, but I hope it does what you need!

• Rose

I'll have one handyman to go, please.....lol

• Nancy

Funny story. My dad was VERY handy. Two brothers also VERY handy. Mistakenly assumed all men were handy. Married a man who had never used a tool. He learned a lot through trial and error. We were married 51 years and I miss him every day.