How To Paint Dollar Store Plastic Bins To Look Like Metal

$5

Today I will show you how to paint Dollar Store plastic bins to look like metal for just a few dollars! It’s easy, but makes a huge difference! Like so many of you, I am determined to make this year the year I get organized, especially in my craft room, which is not easy! These plastic bins are inexpensive, but not very pretty to look at. Here is what I started with:

how to paint dollar store plastic bins to look like metal

The plans are to bring in a large bookshelf to hold lots of bins and baskets so I can organize fabric, paper and other craft supplies. I hit the Dollar Store to pick up the locker style plastic bins that were the perfect size for my bookshelf. I wanted to give them an industrial farmhouse look. Here is what I used:

Supplies:

Start by lightly sanding the plastic bins to make it easier for the paint to adhere. Also, if it wasn’t 10 degrees outside I would have spray painted these bins in probably half the time, but that wasn’t an option. Next up, give each bin 2-3 coats of chalkboard paint, letting it dry in between. It doesn’t have to be completely dry, but definitely let it be tacky before you add the silver paint.

Once you are happy with the coverage of the chalkboard paint, add the silver metallic paint. You don’t want to go to heavy, as you want some of the black to show, otherwise they just look silver. You want them to have a galvanized effect. Add light brush strokes until you receive the desired effect.

Please stop by my blog to see more thrifty and easy craft and diy projects. https://ourcraftymom.com/

Our Crafty Mom

• Larry Hall

Good idea

• Gloria

How did you get so brilliant? You have incredible ideas and its so easy to link to topic of interest. You are a genius and I could never, ever do what you do or make it look so good. Thank you for the inspiration, though.