From Gun Cabinet to Material Cabinet

$0

We were given this old gun cabinet from a friend who was remodeling and didn’t want it anymore. Luckily for us we had a fabulous idea for it. Add some shelves and it becomes a great shelving unit for someone. The cost to us is $0 because we had everything we needed already. If you were to go out and buy the paint, plugs and shelves it could range from $50-100 depending on the quality you purchased.

So we took off the door and all of the hardware and gave it a good sanding. We kept the corrugated wood piece in the middle for a shelf to rest on. On the bottom we took out the piece where the bottom of the gun fits into. Hopefully we can use that project somewhere, somehow.

There was a spot on the top that had some gouges in the wood and needed wood filler before we painted.

This is in the middle of the second coat on the inside. In all it needed three coats.

Here is the paint we used .

The outside needed only two coats of paint. Same brand, just in the color black.

When we painted the door we didn’t worry about masking off the glass because it just comes right off with a razor blade scraper after it’s good and dry.

There were quite a few wooden plugs in this piece to cover up screw holes. To have them stand out we took a Q-tip dipped it in white paint and went over it a couple times.

In total we added three shelves. All of the hardware was spray-painted black and reattached. We also added a new base to the bottom that helped it be more stable. Don’t you love that the key is still with this piece!

As soon as another friend saw this she knew exactly what she wanted to do with it!

It’s perfect to keep a quilters material clean from dust, yet easy to see. (Side-note this material was just put in here to show what she wanted to do with it. She is much more organized than this! )

Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home

• Ellen

Why would your friend get the cabinet? I'm puzzled since you stated that she didn't want it and gave it to you. Did you sell it to her?

• FRAn

Who why she did it. The post is to show you how she did it ! Hey

• Ann

Not bad, I would put it on legs, like a real curio (sp?), Which it what it seems to look like?

• Carol Cole

Lucky you. Good Job. I'am looking for a filing cabinet so I can use it for a tool box.

• Divababiexoxo

your new cabinet looks wonderful! I love the black and white. I love that you painted the hardware black to stand out on the white door frame. Wonderful job I wish I had room for a cabinet like that