Thrift Store Lamp Gets a Country Makeover

$14

So, a few months ago, I went to my local thrift store to get myself a sweater to make mug koozies for my Christmas in a Jar post. I left the thrift store with two sweaters, some shop rags, a mirror tray and a lamp! To be fair I still only spent $8 and no one really believed I was just gonna be able to get one sweater right? It honestly hadn’t occurred to me to replace one of my living room lamps until I literally ran right into this one. I took one look at it and just grabbed it. It was perfect! And I didn’t even know I’d been looking for it!

thrift store lamp gets a country makeover
My old living room had a lot of lovely things going for it but it was never quite right. I started rearranging and doing some fall cleaning late last year with BIG plans for later this year. I had one lamp I had already given a makeover to that deserved an accompanying lamp that fit more with its style. (The previous lamp I had painted just never fit in here as well as I would have liked.) I gave this $2 lamp the same treatment I gave my other lamp. I painted it out with matte white paint and then added twine with a glue gun for some interest. All in I spent $2 for this lamp and $12 for the shade. $14 for a new lamp I consider to be a great deal!

Tip when working with twine: To get rid of all of those crazy fly aways run a lighter over it to burn them away. Unfortunately it is still winter here so I couldn’t spray paint it outside like I wanted to so I had to hand paint it so it took lots and lots of coats!

I am REALLY excited about my living room even though I won’t be starting work on it for a long while. I’m tackling my garage this spring/summer and I have plans on moving my sofa out there along with the chair, the coffee table and the sofa and chair from my deck as well. I’m going to take the opportunity then (when this room is nearly empty) to paint it out and refinish the floors which is the same treatment I’m giving the entire first floor of my home after everything was so badly damaged from wood smoke. (You can see the complete makeover I just  gave my workshop here and  my laundry room here next up I’m so excted to share my finished entryway too!)
And then, for the first time in my life, I will be picking out and purchasing myself a brand new sofa and that makes me really happy for some reason lol.

I have a coffee table out on my deck I plan on bringing in here and adding a tufted top to it and I am also going to be painting out that hideous stone that my ex put on my chimney!
In the meantime, this lamp reminds me of all my fun dreams and plans to come for my living room! And all it took was a few coats of flat white paint and some twine glued on with a glue gun.

GrandmasHouseDIY

• Leah

What kind of damage to what kind of floors with wood smok?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Leah, the floors are simply something I'm doing along with fixing all of the damage that was caused to my home by an improperly installed wood stove. I figure I've got the rooms emptied out anyway to repaint and fix everything, I might as well refinish my floors while I'm at it!

• Jeanne Martin

Love the "new" lamp! I also just want to mention I visited your workshop room reveal and I got quite a few ideas for my still pending workshop. Ya know the backslpash wainscotting kinda looks like a cityscape to me (dark tall & shorter buildings). Do you see it or am I just a nut? But I’m a good kinda nut! 😁 Love it all!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Jeanne, I thought the same thing!!! As soon as I painted those boards black I just laughed out loud literally, I definitely made a city scape! It wasn't exactly what I had anticipated but it was a happy surprise! Thanks for coming by!

• PamPam

What are you going to do with the stone fireplace/chimney?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi PamPam, the chimney is not original and the stone is fake so I plan on painting it for now (or sheetrocking around it). I hope to someday be able to remove the whole chimney but I think paint will help me hate it less in the time being lol

• Peach123

Too cute! I love this idea ❤ definitely going to do this soon! Thanks a lot

• Sue c.
    18 hours ago

A very spiffy upgrade indeed. Sometimes I believe items call out to be rescued. Then they repay us by sharing their new beauty with us. You did a lovely job. And where did you get the shade? I love it.