Noting Grace
Noting Grace
  • Columbia, TN

DIY Limewash Terra Cotta Lavender Plant

$15

Limewash isn't just for bricks! Thinking outside the box, I was able to create this DIY Limewash Terra Cotta Lavender Plant. Try this creative decor ideas!

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

Recently I updated the exterior of our home using Limewash. I had some extra left over and being one who hates to waste anything, I thought of a creative idea to use the leftovers.

I wanted to think outside the box a bit. So I came up with a fun DIY you can make.

Using Limewash, Faux Lavender Plants, Terra Cotta Pots, a Foam Disc, Wire Cutters and Paint Brush I created these gorgeous planters. Here's how I did it.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

The Limewash has a consistency of creamy peanut butter. For masonry uses, you must always dilute the limewash.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

For this application, I used a 2 to 1 ratio.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

2 parts limewash to 1 part water.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

The next step takes some patience.

You want to make sure you fully mix the limewash and water, which may take up to 15 minutes. But for this little amount, it mixed together in just a few.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

A little bit goes a long way. Start with a small amount.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

You begin by wetting your surface. I took my terra cotta pots to my kitchen sink and ran water over them.

First I painted the inside edge of the pot.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

Next I moved to the outside. Since I wanted a mottled look, I varied my brush strokes.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

Give it time to cure - I let my pots sit for about 15 minutes. That's the awesome thing about working with this product. If you don't like it - you can simply wash it off. And since it's eco-friendly - it won't hurt the environment.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

To create the mottled look, I used a wet paper towel and dabbed away at the paint.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

Here you can see the difference side by side.

Both are equally beautiful, aren't they?

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

I took foam discs you can buy in the greenery department at your arts and craft store. I had to trim mine down a bit to fit in the pots, which is easily accomplished with a serrated knife.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

Next, you clip each stem from your lavender bundle.

This allows you to have individual stems to work with, making the plant look more realistic.

Simply start in the center and work your way to the outer edge.

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

Soon you have a beautiful, fluffy lavender plant that would look beautiful in any setting!

diy limewash terra cotta lavender plant

I love how these look on my mantle. It brings a touch of summer to the indoors! Plus, it was a pretty economical way to DIY some decor!

And that always makes me smile!

To see how I limewashed the exterior our home, head over to my blog for more details.

Noting Grace

• Pattie

How would this do outside

• Leslie

Well done tutorial and a great use for leftover paint/limewash. I am thinking that maybe my leftover latex paint can be used to do the same thing. Since the pots are not all that expensive I can try a few or use some of my used pots. Thank you for sharing your idea:)

• Annie

HI I really like these pots would you have to seal them if you left them outside thanks

• Noting Grace

If you want to keep them the same, then yes. Limewash is meant to age and patina over time, which I love to watch, but if that's not your thing, then sealing it would keep them looking the same.

• Sharan

Could you add color to the lime wash? And then when finished, before putting the flowers or whatever inside, could I then cover it all with a clear coat of sealant to be able to use outside? Great idea that I will definitely be trying!! Thank you!!

• Dawn Robinson

Beautiful indoor decor. If you could do the same with the pots with outdoor paint(you said that washes off easy), you can plant real lavender and lemon peppermint and lemongrass (2 separate plants), and it will help keep deer, rabbits and small wild animals away as well as mosquitoes! Plus, the lemon peppermint, you can pick a leaf when you go out to enjoy the day with your glass of tea, rub the leaf to bring the flavor out and drop it in your tea!!

• Recreated Designs

Absolutely love your pots!!! Great job!