DIY Limewash Terra Cotta Lavender Plant

$15

Limewash isn't just for bricks! Thinking outside the box, I was able to create this DIY Limewash Terra Cotta Lavender Plant. Try this creative decor ideas!

Recently I updated the exterior of our home using Limewash. I had some extra left over and being one who hates to waste anything, I thought of a creative idea to use the leftovers.

I wanted to think outside the box a bit. So I came up with a fun DIY you can make.

Using Limewash, Faux Lavender Plants, Terra Cotta Pots, a Foam Disc, Wire Cutters and Paint Brush I created these gorgeous planters. Here's how I did it.

The Limewash has a consistency of creamy peanut butter. For masonry uses, you must always dilute the limewash.

For this application, I used a 2 to 1 ratio.

2 parts limewash to 1 part water.

The next step takes some patience.

You want to make sure you fully mix the limewash and water, which may take up to 15 minutes. But for this little amount, it mixed together in just a few.

A little bit goes a long way. Start with a small amount.

You begin by wetting your surface. I took my terra cotta pots to my kitchen sink and ran water over them.

First I painted the inside edge of the pot.

Next I moved to the outside. Since I wanted a mottled look, I varied my brush strokes.

Give it time to cure - I let my pots sit for about 15 minutes. That's the awesome thing about working with this product. If you don't like it - you can simply wash it off. And since it's eco-friendly - it won't hurt the environment.

To create the mottled look, I used a wet paper towel and dabbed away at the paint.

Here you can see the difference side by side.

Both are equally beautiful, aren't they?

I took foam discs you can buy in the greenery department at your arts and craft store. I had to trim mine down a bit to fit in the pots, which is easily accomplished with a serrated knife.

Next, you clip each stem from your lavender bundle.

This allows you to have individual stems to work with, making the plant look more realistic.

Simply start in the center and work your way to the outer edge.

Soon you have a beautiful, fluffy lavender plant that would look beautiful in any setting!

I love how these look on my mantle. It brings a touch of summer to the indoors! Plus, it was a pretty economical way to DIY some decor!

And that always makes me smile!

To see how I limewashed the exterior our home, head over to my blog for more details.

20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Noting Grace

• Pattie

How would this do outside

• Leslie

Well done tutorial and a great use for leftover paint/limewash. I am thinking that maybe my leftover latex paint can be used to do the same thing. Since the pots are not all that expensive I can try a few or use some of my used pots. Thank you for sharing your idea:)

• Annie

HI I really like these pots would you have to seal them if you left them outside thanks

• Noting Grace

If you want to keep them the same, then yes. Limewash is meant to age and patina over time, which I love to watch, but if that's not your thing, then sealing it would keep them looking the same.

• Sharan

Could you add color to the lime wash? And then when finished, before putting the flowers or whatever inside, could I then cover it all with a clear coat of sealant to be able to use outside? Great idea that I will definitely be trying!! Thank you!!

• Caseyem11

Great idea I am going to copy for my shallow succulent planters.

• Pol

NO because you can buy this sort of item anyway in cheap shops.