DIY Metal Tea Tin Planters

$15
1 Day

We are definitely tea drinkers and the brand we drink comes in these really cute tins that are too pretty to toss out or hide away. I thought they would make great little planters for herbs, greenery or flowers! I used a rubberized coating on the inside with the thinking that it would keep rust from creeping through the tin. One container of Flex Seal will coat several small tins.

diy metal tea tin planters

These tins, with lids, measure approximately 4" x 4" x 5" which is the perfect size to grow small herbs for cooking or tea.

diy metal tea tin planters

I coated the inside with Flex Seal (which is non-toxic and food safe) using a small paint brush and let the coating dry. I recommend using the liquid Flex Seal as the tape is difficult to apply because it is so tacky!

diy metal tea tin planters

Once the rubberized coating was dry, I used a hammer and a scratch awl to punch holes in the bottom of the tins for soil drainage. (the coating on the tin pictured is using the Flex Seal Tape!)

diy metal tea tin planters

I added soil to the tins, then planted small plants for ground cover. I also planted a succulent in one of the tins (not pictured) as a Mother's Day gift for my mom! I have plenty more tins and plan on using them to plant more herbs!

Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• Gloria Nixon

Mu tea cans are smaller than those used here. What can I do with them

• Mx BERRY

Individual succulents one to a tin ... group a load of planted-up mini tins on a tray (use old tiles or something to raise the middle area like a rockery) making a staggered display. Cactus garden! If you use moss instead of soul you may not need to make holes. The succulents need very little watering.

• Bertha Esoldo

Wow, excellent idea...finished tin with herbs look real nice. Thank you for sharing with us.

• Kat Rogers

YES! For a white last year I'd started drinking tea from The Republic Of Tea, and Their Tea comes in THE CUTEST Round, about 5"~6" Tall Tins... Aside from saving some (for The Refills that are sold in bags) I have several put aside for plants~ The 2 I've already planted I gave as gifts, AND TALK ABOUT CUTE! I painted the outside with clear Glitter Paint that I mixed up (an Opalescent Blend called "Fairy Dust", from The Rainbow Turtle, a website I highly recommend for Incredible Deals on Glitter... AND Marbles~ particularly if you'd be in to Reselling the Glitter, OR IF You're A Heavy User!). Anyway, the next time I will use Your Idea of lining the inside with that Rubber Product!

Thanks for sharing!

🌱🌵🌷🐈