Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

How to Make a Hanging Tire Planter

$25

Some of you may have seen my post where I made a winter planter out of an old tire. Now that spring has arrived I wanted to give it a mini makeover and use it in my yard for the summer. I have two old trees in my back yard that I have hung hanging baskets from, this year I envisioned my tires hanging from them. See my easy step by step instructions below for this easy transformation.

how to make a hanging tire planter

So to start this project you will need one or two old tires and a can of spray paint. I chose Citrus Green. I wanted something nice and bright. Color choice is yours.

how to make a hanging tire planter

Before I began painting I took my cordless drill and drilled a hole in the top in the centre. I also drilled several holes in the bottom of the tires for drainage. After drilling I painted my two tires. I applied two coats of paint.

how to make a hanging tire planter

I had two ceiling hooks and used these in the top of my tires.

how to make a hanging tire planter

Here is the painted tire with the ceiling hook.

how to make a hanging tire planter

To determine what I was going to use to hang the tire from my bracket I decided on S hooks. I used two to give me the desired length. Once I had that figured out I removed my tire from the tree to prepare for my flowers.

how to make a hanging tire planter

Here are the flowers I chose. They are begonias. Two in a salmon color and four in yellow and two trailing ivy. Fill the bottom of the tires with soil and begin planting. I started in the middle with my ivy and the salmon colored begonia and used two yellow on either side. Repeated process on the other tire.

how to make a hanging tire planter

I bought two of these solar powered Edison style lights at the dollar store for $2.50 each. I drilled a hole at the front of the tire just above the opening and used a cup hook to attach the light.

how to make a hanging tire planter

So here is what it looks like. You can choose to stop at this point but I wanted to add a little extra.

how to make a hanging tire planter

I had some butterflies from a previous project that I wanted to use. Using two sided tape I attached them to my tires.

how to make a hanging tire planter

Here they are completed.

how to make a hanging tire planter

I absolutely love how they turned out. This project was super easy to create and I was able to reuse my existing tires just by changing the paint color , some flowers and adding a hook.

• Sherrill Hall

Wht did u put in tree to hold tire hooks an will it hurt a living tree

• Melanie

I already had brackets there for hanging baskets. My trees are over 60 years old and the bark has now grown around the brackets. It has not damaged the trees.

• Gloria

Do you leave the plants in their original pots or do you plant them directly in the tire? And...will the plants survive and will the tire hold enough soil to sustain them?

• Melanie

I planted them in the tire, taking them out of the pots. The tires are deep and hold the soil.

• Cesylvia Cartwright

What is the green light bulb for?

• Cristina

Yes i like the idea & would love to see it in my yard love to be outdoors especially a well decorated one. Thanks for the idea.

• Melanie

You're welcome. I love to be outdoors too and decorate my yard.

• Lovesunique
    2 hours ago

Turned out cute and great color for the yard and summertime. I love solar at night in the garden.