How to Make a Hanging Tire Planter

$25

Some of you may have seen my post where I made a winter planter out of an old tire. Now that spring has arrived I wanted to give it a mini makeover and use it in my yard for the summer. I have two old trees in my back yard that I have hung hanging baskets from, this year I envisioned my tires hanging from them. See my easy step by step instructions below for this easy transformation.

So to start this project you will need one or two old tires and a can of spray paint. I chose Citrus Green. I wanted something nice and bright. Color choice is yours.

Before I began painting I took my cordless drill and drilled a hole in the top in the centre. I also drilled several holes in the bottom of the tires for drainage. After drilling I painted my two tires. I applied two coats of paint.

I had two ceiling hooks and used these in the top of my tires.

Here is the painted tire with the ceiling hook.

To determine what I was going to use to hang the tire from my bracket I decided on S hooks. I used two to give me the desired length. Once I had that figured out I removed my tire from the tree to prepare for my flowers.

Here are the flowers I chose. They are begonias. Two in a salmon color and four in yellow and two trailing ivy. Fill the bottom of the tires with soil and begin planting. I started in the middle with my ivy and the salmon colored begonia and used two yellow on either side. Repeated process on the other tire.

I bought two of these solar powered Edison style lights at the dollar store for $2.50 each. I drilled a hole at the front of the tire just above the opening and used a cup hook to attach the light.

So here is what it looks like. You can choose to stop at this point but I wanted to add a little extra.

I had some butterflies from a previous project that I wanted to use. Using two sided tape I attached them to my tires.

Here they are completed.

I absolutely love how they turned out. This project was super easy to create and I was able to reuse my existing tires just by changing the paint color , some flowers and adding a hook.

• Sherrill Hall

Wht did u put in tree to hold tire hooks an will it hurt a living tree

• Melanie

I already had brackets there for hanging baskets. My trees are over 60 years old and the bark has now grown around the brackets. It has not damaged the trees.

• Gloria

Do you leave the plants in their original pots or do you plant them directly in the tire? And...will the plants survive and will the tire hold enough soil to sustain them?

• Melanie

I planted them in the tire, taking them out of the pots. The tires are deep and hold the soil.

• Cesylvia Cartwright

What is the green light bulb for?