Easy DIY Dollar Store Glass Bead Table

$30

This easy adorable dollar store glass bead table will brighten up your outdoor space in a matter of days. With a few products and a small table you can add so much style to your home or porch with one of these tables.

On our back porch we have a

sand paper

paint brush

sanded grout

tile adhesive

tile layers sponge

cloth or rag

If the top of your table is dark colored like mine you will need to paint it white so the beads will be bright. If you lay a bead down on the dark table you see how it dulls the color.

So, begin by sanding the surface if it is slick so the paint will adhere to the surface.

Next grab a white paint. I used Fusion mineral paint but you can use an outdoor acrylic too. If you have any concern with the finish bleeding through your paint add a primer coat on first.

Put one coat of paint on the table and let it sit for an hour or so until it is dry. Repeat this step as many times as needed until the table is white.

Now grab your beads and pour them out on a flat surface. Pull out any colors you do not want in your design. I wanted mostly pastels so I pulled out all the dark beads.

Next start around the outside edge and drop some tile adhesive on the table and place a bead. I found it to be quicker to drop about four drops of tile adhesive and then place four beads at a time.

Follow all the way around the edge and then start another row. Repeat this until you get to the center. You may have to slide around the beads at the end to fill in the very middle.

Here is one tip. Try to fill in the spaces as much as possible with the beads. The closer they fit the better it will turn out in the end.

Now let it sit over night so the beads are nice and secure.

Follow the last step by applying sanded grout on top of the beads. Make sure to fill in the cracks.

I try to remove as much of the grout as possible only leaving a thin layer on the top.

Next take a damp sponge like this one and remove the excess grout off the top.

The main thing is the get as much grout off as possible without removing it from between the stones.

You will need to rinse the sponge very often. I basically wiped off some grout and then rinsed the sponge and ringed out the water as much as possible. Then went back and removed more grout.

Now let the grout dry for over four hours.

Right at four hours I dampened a cloth and started removing the grout haze off of the glass marbles.

Polish the beads up very nicely.

And there you have a dollar store glass bead table. I got this table at goodwill.

I needed a table to go between my chairs and it needed to be small so this table was perfect.

Here is another shot of how it turned out.

I hope you enjoyed this post and I hope you consider making a small table with dollar store glass marbles.

If you would like to see my back porch where I placed this small table check out my post link below.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Linda

• Athena

Could you use this idea but instead of glass beads use bottle cap tops? Like from glass coke bottles and such? Or would it have to be a different type of medium used?

• Linda Wells

Would this work to resurface a bird bath? I have an old mosaic bird bath that was left out in the winter and all the mosaic tiles came off. So I need it to withstand the weather, somewhat... and be safe for the birds.

• Yvonne

We did this to our birdbath a couple of years ago and it has held up very well. We live in Iowa and have some harsh winter weather too!

• April Rose-Sharp

Linda, first I want to say your table is beautiful and the directions are very well written and easy to follow.

My question is very good one now if I can just put it in detail so you will know what I am asking lol. As I am sitting on my deck reading your post. I have these plastic plant trays that are about the size as your table. They are clear plastic and on the bottom of the tray is these leaves that are dropped down to hold water. I will try to include a picture. I am wondering if I can flip it over onto some type of grout and have the design on top of a table similar to what you did with the glass stones? I bought the plant trays at the Dollar store. I am asking what type of grout or something being my question can I use to imprint the design into or onto that will first create the design, and not make the table heavy and also not have the plastic tray stick to the?? material? I would also like to be able to paint the leaves?? Any suggestions for me?

• I did the same thing using quick drying cement. Make sure you coat the inside with some kind of oil so it will easily slip it. I made a mosaic using broken plated from the Dollar Store. Hope you had fun

• Mary Nuyttens

It looks great!!! Now, I'm on a mission!

• Charlotte

The beads would appear to float if you used an epoxy resin. I cut thin plywood templets for each section of my back splash and covered them with beads and epoxy! Everyone loves my bubbles!