Linda
Linda
  • Tallahassee, FL

Easy DIY Dollar Store Glass Bead Table

$30

This easy adorable dollar store glass bead table will brighten up your outdoor space in a matter of days. With a few products and a small table you can add so much style to your home or porch with one of these tables.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

On our back porch we have a

sand paper

paint brush

sanded grout

tile adhesive

tile layers sponge

cloth or rag

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

If the top of your table is dark colored like mine you will need to paint it white so the beads will be bright. If you lay a bead down on the dark table you see how it dulls the color.

So, begin by sanding the surface if it is slick so the paint will adhere to the surface.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

Next grab a white paint. I used Fusion mineral paint but you can use an outdoor acrylic too. If you have any concern with the finish bleeding through your paint add a primer coat on first.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

Put one coat of paint on the table and let it sit for an hour or so until it is dry. Repeat this step as many times as needed until the table is white.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

Now grab your beads and pour them out on a flat surface. Pull out any colors you do not want in your design. I wanted mostly pastels so I pulled out all the dark beads.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

Next start around the outside edge and drop some tile adhesive on the table and place a bead. I found it to be quicker to drop about four drops of tile adhesive and then place four beads at a time.

Follow all the way around the edge and then start another row. Repeat this until you get to the center. You may have to slide around the beads at the end to fill in the very middle.

Here is one tip. Try to fill in the spaces as much as possible with the beads. The closer they fit the better it will turn out in the end.

Now let it sit over night so the beads are nice and secure.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

Follow the last step by applying sanded grout on top of the beads. Make sure to fill in the cracks.

I try to remove as much of the grout as possible only leaving a thin layer on the top.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

Next take a damp sponge like this one and remove the excess grout off the top.

The main thing is the get as much grout off as possible without removing it from between the stones.

You will need to rinse the sponge very often. I basically wiped off some grout and then rinsed the sponge and ringed out the water as much as possible. Then went back and removed more grout.

Now let the grout dry for over four hours.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

Right at four hours I dampened a cloth and started removing the grout haze off of the glass marbles.

Polish the beads up very nicely.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

And there you have a dollar store glass bead table. I got this table at goodwill.

I needed a table to go between my chairs and it needed to be small so this table was perfect.

easy diy dollar store glass bead table

Here is another shot of how it turned out.

I hope you enjoyed this post and I hope you consider making a small table with dollar store glass marbles.

If you would like to see my back porch where I placed this small table check out my post link below.

Linda

• Jane Doe

Looks expensive. However, why are the beads not to the edge of the table?

• Wanda sinnema

I have a small round table w/ seashells in it.. Love this idea.. always wanted to redo it.. perfect for the guest room..

• Athena

Could you use this idea but instead of glass beads use bottle cap tops? Like from glass coke bottles and such? Or would it have to be a different type of medium used?

• Anita Bradley

You would spread your mastic over the table top and then press the bottle caps into the mastic and wipe off any excess.

• Linda Wells

Would this work to resurface a bird bath? I have an old mosaic bird bath that was left out in the winter and all the mosaic tiles came off. So I need it to withstand the weather, somewhat... and be safe for the birds.

• Linda

Yes I think it would withstand weather. Just make sure the grout you purchase is for outdoor use.