Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

Baby Buggy Planter

$12

I bought this baby buggy many years ago at a flea market. The moment I seen it I fell in love with it. Unfortunately over the years it was neglected left outdoors to endure our Canadian winters behind our shed. I had it wrapped in tarps but they had long ago disinegrated so it was exposed and it showed. My husband pulled it out this spring and announced it was a rusted piece of junk and should go to the garbage. I said oh no you don't, this little baby has potential and I will do something with it. At this point in the conversation I got the eye roll accompanied by the shaking of the head and walking away. Thanks honey for digging it out from behind the shed!

baby buggy planter

So here is what I was dealing with. My first step was to sand it and get rid of all that rust and loose paint. In the beginning after having a good look at it I was thinking maybe hubby was right. Not that I would ever admit that.

baby buggy planter

I purchased this sanding block kit at the Dollar store. It has 3 different blocks in a package. I laid an old roller blind I use to paint and do projects out doors on. It's great because I can just sweep it off and roll it up and use it for my next project. Anyhow I placed my buggy on it and got to work. I started with the coarse grit and worked my way up to the fine grit.

baby buggy planter

So here it is all sanded down. You may notice that it is missing the piece that comes up over part of the buggy. It was ripped and the boards it was attached to were rotted so I removed them. Now I am ready to paint.

baby buggy planter

So here is the color I chose. I am drawn to these colors for summer. This has a paint and primer in one. I covered the wheels and handle with bags as I didn't want paint to get on the chrome.

baby buggy planter

So here it is after two coats of paint. A vast improvement over the previous look.

baby buggy planter

I added small decorative trim around the top, painting it white and also painted the bottom part that connects the wheels to the buggy in white. Using my cordless drill I drilled holes in the bottom so that the water will drain out.

baby buggy planter

So I added my basket of flowers to my baby buggy and it is now complete. I love how this turned out and I love the color I chose. So glad hubby didn't throw this away!

• Kat Rogers
    Yesterday

Absolutely Adorable! It's A BABY Buggy, SO JUST Being THAT Gives IT A Head Start ON CUTENESS. And THOSE GORGEOUS FLOWERS ROCK In That Buggy. Ha Ha~ Get It, Rock...

Yeah, ok, Aaanywaaay~

Thanks for sharing The Cuteness!

• Kathryn
    3 hours ago

Adorable