Turn a Tree Stump Into a Planter - The Easy Way

$2

We have a huge collection of succulents and I'm always looking for new ways to showcase their unusual beauty. A few weeks ago while pottering around in the garden I stumbled over a tree stump. It was the perfect size and shape to turn into a planter for a few of our succulents that had outgrown their coconut wine glass homes.

turn a tree stump into a planter the easy way

The addition of the fairy swing made it extra special and I thought I'd share how we did it with you all. The great thing about using a tree stump as a planter is that it feeds the plants as the wood decays over time. To make the planter you'll need:

• A tree stump 
  • Hole saw
  • Chisel
  • Drill and wood drill bits

For the fairy swing you need a popsicle stick, twine and a flexible branch for the arch.

Use a hole saw to cut into the stump to make the holes where the plants will go. When making the holes, leave at least a 2″ gap between the hole and the outer diameter of the tree stump. Drill a few smaller holes and the chisel the wood away. It makes it much easier to get the bits out.

Once the hole is deep and wide enough, it's time to make some drainage holes. Succulents are really easy to grow, and if they're looking sad, 9 times out of 10 it's either because they don't get enough light or their roots are drowning in water. So those drainage holes are real important. Use a drill to drill upwards at angle into the hole you chiselled away earlier.

Place a few small stones in the bottom of the hole, before adding the soil and plants.

To add a whimsical fairy swing, drill two holes in the top of the tree stump and insert the flexible branch to create an arch. For the swing, cut the popsicle stick to size and glue together as shown below.

Add rope ......

...... and hang in the arch

I love how it turned out, but I would be keen to hear what you think.

A Crafty Mix - Michelle

• Catie
    Yesterday

Thanks, I love this idea, we had to recently cut down one of our trees we left four good size,4ft high stumps, I have planted 2 potted plants on Twoof them couldn't think of what to do on the other two. Going to do your shared idea. Thank you,

• Marilyn
    2 hours ago

Hello from cotland, What a Brilliant idea -- love the Fairy Swing too. Will definitely try your idea on a two year old stump and I'm sure I'll be delighted with the end result. Thank You, Marilyn