French Farmhouse Bench

$50

A friend was selling her old head and foot board and I snapped them up. In spite of the broken trim and wavy veneer I envisioned an elegant bench. $60 for the head and footboard was a great deal and multiple projects

The first task was to make a box. Measuring the width and depth of the bench seat I used 1x 4’s to make a simple box.

I attached the box to the headboard using 2.5” wood finishing screws. The next job was to attach legs. Looking through my collection...yes, if I see legs I buy them, I pulled out two French Provençal ones.

I added one foot pieces of 2x4 to the top of each leg with screws. This provided more strength to the legs. I then added the legs to the front corners of the box.

With the legs on I then added 1x4 pine boards for the seat. I stained the seat, frame and legs in MinWax Provincial stain. I sanded the wavy veneer and filled all cracks with wood filler. I cut the decorative side rail and added it to the front of the box.

After sanding the wood filler, I painted the bench in Benjamin Moore’s Gauntlet Grey. Made a cushion from 3” foam with a plywood base. The last step was covering the cushion in Frontgates’s herringbone material.

The headboard turned out so well, I decided to make one out of the footboard. Two beautiful French Farmhouse benches have now been happily placed in new homes.

2.5 inch GDK finishing screws

• Jacqui

Where did th decorative side rails come from? I didn't see them on th head/foot boards. Also, where should I b looking for legs?

• Annie

Best seats I have seen made out of a bed, the first one looks very straightforward, did you attach the foot board on top of the seat somehow which would be more complicated

• Gary Hardman

Thanks, I just built a box and attached it directly at seat height to the footboard. The less complicated the better.

• Beautiful soul

I clicked on your paint choice. I really love that color. And gauntlet gray is not one of the choices.??? Maybe I’m just not doing it right or something. Could you please let me know if that is the right name of the paint because I’m really wanting to use that color

• Gary Hardman

Hello, Not sure why it does not come up. The best way to get this color is to go to Benjamin Moore paint sample or to ask Walmart to reproduce. Sorry, I have no control over what comes up when you click on those choices in the post.