Linda
Linda
  • Tallahassee, FL

How to Make a Large Art Piece Out of a Shower Curtain

$40

This is a fun and easy way to create a large piece of art in your home or apartment using a shower curtain and wood.

how to make a large art piece out of a shower curtain

Step 1: Measure the curtain height and mark the wall where you want the top of the artwork to be. Use a level to make a straight line.

Step 2: Fold the curtain in half and find the center of the shower curtain. This is the first place that you will want to tack when hanging the piece. I used tiny little nails to tack in the center.

Step 3: Pull tight the top left corner of the shower curtain and tack it and then do the same with the top right corner.

Step 4: Continue by pulling tight the bottom middle and tack, then left and then right.

Step 5: Finish hanging the shower curtain by nailing the middle sides into place. The more nails you place along the sides the smoother the fabric will be.

Step 6: Now it's time to take the measurements of the shower curtain and measure out your framing pieces. Cut the exact size of the shower curtain for the sides first. For example if the shower curtain is 80" tall then cut the side boards 80".

Step 7: After marking the measurements on the wood framing, it's time to cut the wood with a saw.

Step 8: It's best to start hanging the framing by hanging both sides first.

Step 9: Next cut the top and bottom boards. Measure along the side between the two outer boards. Then cut the top and bottom board according to that measurement. Now, move on to hanging the top and bottom boards by using a nail gun or finishing nails and a hammer.

Step 10: Finish hanging the frame by nailing in the bottom piece of the frame.

Finished Project: Here is the finished product. This statement piece of easy to hang artwork is in my daughters room that she redecorated for college. If you'd like to see more of her room, check it out .

Linda

• Leanne

What saw did you use?

• Carol Divis

Did you cut the shower curtain in half ,it doesn't look as wide as a regular shower curtain?

• Linda

Good question! Yes I cut the shower curtain in half.

• Andrea Kamnik

Can I use an adhesive or nail glue to attach the furring boards to the wall as I don’t want all the the nail holes.

• Larry Pettijohn

I don't see why not. But glueing may cause more damage than a few finishing nail holes. An alternate method would be to build the wood frame, like a frame and then hang the frame by whatever means you want, There are removable type of adhesives that cause minimal damage (if any)...just use the recommended amount for the weight of the material you are hanging

• Rhonda
    4 hours ago

I must admit that when I read the tag line my immediate thought was "tacky". I was so wrong. This is beautiful - and I love the bare wood frame.

• Sharon Kay Parris
    30 minutes ago

I use shower curtains in place of closet door's and in place of window curtains ... never thought of framing one for artwork!!