How To Make A Office Island

$40

This is a simple way to make a great office island for your home or at work.

Cut two pieces of wood that will end up being the top and bottom of the office island. (measurements will depend on how small or large you'd like the island to be.)

Put two casters that do not swivel on one end and screw them in. Then two casters that swivel on the other end and screw them in. Turn over the bottom so the casters are on the floor.

Then set the file cabinet on one side lining it up with the front and the edge of the side. Nail it into the base at an angle.

Then sit a crate on the bottom right lining it up with the front and the edge. And nail it in from the inside. 

Then cut two pieces from the the 1x2 the depth of a crate. Nail them into place. 

Put the last crate on top and nail it in through the bottom into the one by twos.

Then place the top on the island and nail it into the top of the file cabinet in the crate.

Sand all the raw wood as smooth as possible. 

Here's the finished project. This is a great space-saver and perfect to help you get more organized. It's simple and can be put together in an afternoon.

We recently did a that you might like to check out for your office as well.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Linda

• Deborah Hickle Gillian

Could i make a coffee station out this ?

• Laurie S

Great idea!!! And if you wanted it stationary instead of on rollers, add some sweet “bun feet” on the bottom!!

• Deb Crom-Stephens

How much weight can this hold? My file cabinet is FULL and heavy.

• Sandy

Good question. When I have bought casters, in the past, some give the weight limit on the package, to help in my selection. I would not use anything less than ½ to ¾ inch plywood/wood for the base. I would just take the weight and measurements to my local Home Depot or Lowe's, etc and ask what size/thickness of wood will work best.

• Tracy

What a great idea!!!

• Virginia Rohde

I would paint the sides that go together first before putting together as you can't get brush in between. Love your idea.

• Jeanne

Very cute and helpful!