Cheap & Easy Farmhouse Crate

$8

If you follow any of my wood project posts, you know that I love using fence pickets to create with. They are rustic and inexpensive. This crate is yet another picket project.

I am getting ready to set up a small shop and need quick, sturdy, and economical display pieces. Buying crates at $10 each would be okay, but they are much smaller and lighter in weight than my build. These are just about two feet long and only cost $8 each. Win. Win.

I went to Home Depot and purchased two 12" x 1" x 8' common boards. I had the guy in the lumber dept. Cut each board into 8 equal pieces, 16 total.

I had a stack of fence pickets, each 6' long x 5.5" wide. I cut two into 3 23.5" lengths each, 6 total.

Next, I measured and marked the location for the rope handles.

I place scrap wood between the two wood squares, making sure one of the blocks was directly under the hole locations.

I used a 5/8" paddle bit to drill all the way through the wood square. You can see why I use the scrap wood underneath. I repeated this for each mark...2 for each side.

I propped each end piece so they stood up with the bottom edge up, and laying two of the picket boards spanning the two pieces. This will create the bottom of the crate.

I applied a bead of wood glue along the edge of the end piece. Side note...I love, love, love this glue applicator!!!

I lined up the ends of the boards flush with the side of the end pieces, matching up the corners. Using a pneumatic brad nailer and 1.5" brads, I first drove a brad in the far corner of each board. I then did the same with the opposite end piece. Then, before driving in the remaining brads, I adjusted the boards so the ends were all flush.

Next, it was flipped on its side and the same steps were taken. Finally the third side was completed in the same manner.

Lastly, rope handles were attached.

I'm leaving mine in this natural state but at this point, it can be stained or painted.

I will be making seven more and can't wait to set them up in the shop.

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden

• Leslie

Where did you get your glue applicator?

• A

Amazon. There should be a link for it at the end of this post.

• Tammy

Couldn’t this be done with wooden pallets so there would be no cost for the wood (if u look for them, it’s easy to find them for free.)

Can you tell us about your glue applicator?

They look amazing. Better and cheaper than store bought. Great instructions.

• Maureen

Thank you for sharing. Your crates look awesome!! So much cheaper in the long run!!