A
A
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Vineland, NJ

Cheap & Easy Farmhouse Crate

$8

If you follow any of my wood project posts, you know that I love using fence pickets to create with. They are rustic and inexpensive. This crate is yet another picket project.

I am getting ready to set up a small shop and need quick, sturdy, and economical display pieces. Buying crates at $10 each would be okay, but they are much smaller and lighter in weight than my build. These are just about two feet long and only cost $8 each. Win. Win.

cheap easy farmhouse crate

I went to Home Depot and purchased two 12" x 1" x 8' common boards. I had the guy in the lumber dept. Cut each board into 8 equal pieces, 16 total.

I had a stack of fence pickets, each 6' long x 5.5" wide. I cut two into 3 23.5" lengths each, 6 total.

cheap easy farmhouse crate

Next, I measured and marked the location for the rope handles.

cheap easy farmhouse crate
cheap easy farmhouse crate

I place scrap wood between the two wood squares, making sure one of the blocks was directly under the hole locations.

cheap easy farmhouse crate
cheap easy farmhouse crate

I used a 5/8" paddle bit to drill all the way through the wood square. You can see why I use the scrap wood underneath. I repeated this for each mark...2 for each side.

cheap easy farmhouse crate

I propped each end piece so they stood up with the bottom edge up, and laying two of the picket boards spanning the two pieces. This will create the bottom of the crate.

cheap easy farmhouse crate

I applied a bead of wood glue along the edge of the end piece. Side note...I love, love, love this glue applicator!!!

cheap easy farmhouse crate

I lined up the ends of the boards flush with the side of the end pieces, matching up the corners. Using a pneumatic brad nailer and 1.5" brads, I first drove a brad in the far corner of each board. I then did the same with the opposite end piece. Then, before driving in the remaining brads, I adjusted the boards so the ends were all flush.

cheap easy farmhouse crate

Next, it was flipped on its side and the same steps were taken. Finally the third side was completed in the same manner.

cheap easy farmhouse crate
cheap easy farmhouse crate

Lastly, rope handles were attached.

I'm leaving mine in this natural state but at this point, it can be stained or painted.

cheap easy farmhouse crate
cheap easy farmhouse crate
cheap easy farmhouse crate

I will be making seven more and can't wait to set them up in the shop.

• Leslie

Where did you get your glue applicator?

• A

Amazon. There should be a link for it at the end of this post.

• Tammy

Couldn’t this be done with wooden pallets so there would be no cost for the wood (if u look for them, it’s easy to find them for free.)

Can you tell us about your glue applicator?

They look amazing. Better and cheaper than store bought. Great instructions.

• Maureen

Thank you for sharing. Your crates look awesome!! So much cheaper in the long run!!