$12.99 Goodwill Table Makeover-Memaw’s Way

$20
Advanced

The summer seems to be hotter than ever and lasting longer than I remember, lol! I don’t want to work in this heat but I couldn’t stop myself when I ran across this table for $12.99 at the Goodwill. It was solid wood and just needed freshened up a bit. I mostly work with just wipe on wood stains so I decided to sand and stain a sunflower on top. I love to use stain to create art on anything that is wood!

Here is the before, as you can see it is a plain country table. It was missing the leaf so I fixed the table so it would not come apart. I sanded the top with my orbital sander. I started with 120 grit and finished with a 220. I hand sanded the bottom and legs, just scuffing it up really well.

I use a pencil to lightly draw my sunflower on the table. You can use water color pencils also, they disappear when you stain. So does the pencil but only if it is lightly used. I use mini wax wipe on stain in espresso to create my art. When using stain you have to use very little. I use brushes, and a piece of T-shirt. I dip my brush in the stain and wipe most of it off before applying. I leave the stain on as I work. I wait an hour after I am done and wipe the whole table top off, making sure to wipe away from the image.

I used Varathane gel stain in espresso for the bottom and legs of table.

After I gel stained the bottom I went over it with steel wool in places, I love the effect it gives. I was able to stain the legs and create a beautiful effect without having to detail sand the legs.

All finished! It turned out so beautiful. I sealed with rustoleum water based sealer. I use water base because it does not amber the art. The water base does darken it a bit. Oil based sealers darken even more over time. I applied with a car detailing sponge and it went on smooth. I absolutely love this whimsical sunflower. If you would like to see more of my work you can find me on Facebook book, www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

To see more: https://memawshousebymisty.patternbyetsy.com/about