How to Chalk Paint Vintage Furniture

$25

I promise you can make your vintage furniture look beautiful! Whether you found your vintage furniture at a garage sale, flea market or it is a family heirloom it is possible to bring it back to life with furniture paint!

French Provincial chest before

Begin with a clean surface. Lightly wipe any dust or debris from your vintage furniture. (I also had to lightly sand the edges of this piece where the paint was coming off.)Once surface is clean you are ready to paint! I applied a thin coat of Jolie Moroccan Clay to the top drawer to add highlights. I let the Moroccan Clay dry and then began to paint the entire piece in Dixie Belle Cotton.

Dixie Belle Cotton

I used a mist bottle to help blend the two paint colors together. I wanted them to look almost as if they were one. PRO TIP: After your first coat of paint as dried spray the mist bottle to help blend the first coat in with the second coat. (This is great for getting out brush marks. :))

Applying Dixie Belle Cotton

Once your first coat of paint has dried you are ready to apply a second coat of paint. Apply second coat in even thin layers. Using the spray bottle when necessary to remove brush marks (this will help soften up the paint and will make it easy to blend out any brush marks). You will need 2-3 coats of paint. Dixie Belle Cotton dries pretty fast. I recommend letting it sit for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the weather. Once dry you are ready to seal your vintage furniture.I used Jolie Wax. I applied the wax with a wax brush being sure to not over work the wax. You do not want the wax to become rubbery (if wax becomes rubbery you know you have rubbed it in too much). PRO TIP: Wipe off excess wax with shop towels. Lightly buff with shop towels to create a shine. 

close up of painted vintage furniture

After your vintage furniture is sealed it is complete! Great job!Have you painted vintage furniture before? If so, how did you like it? What color did you paint your furniture? I am always curious! Leave a comment below!

Megan

• Cindy Rubin

I'm just starting to learn about chalk paint... it looks fantastic and everyone makes it sound so easy to use. I'm struggling with it. Dries to fast... is the big round brush necessary? How do I get in all the creases and the curves on spindles?

Almost ready to give up on it... so expensive too!

I found it impossible not to have brush marks but will now try your spritzing technique

• Megan

Hi Cindy! Don't give up! You can do this! Dixie Belle is the most affordable furniture paint. It runs about $10 and a little goes a long ways. Start with them first! That way you won't feel like you are wasting money.

Typically I only use a big round brush for waxing. Or you can use an old t-shirt. Rynns tips are great above!

Using a dabbing motion going up and down helps to get into all of the creases. Don't just use normal brush strokes.

And the mist bottle is awesome for getting rid of brush marks! :) Mist a little water and brush paint on...it really helps to achieve a smooth finish that way. :)

• Val

So beautiful, wonderful job.

• Megan

Thank you so much! Glad you like it. :)

• Maureen

Beautiful makeover!! The dresser looks awesome. I've made my own chalk paint with plaster of Paris & paint that I already had.

• Megan

Thank you!! Oh that's awesome! How was making your own paint? Did it go well? I bet your project turned out beautiful!