Megan
Megan
  • Paragould, AR

How to Chalk Paint Vintage Furniture

$25

I promise you can make your vintage furniture look beautiful! Whether you found your vintage furniture at a garage sale, flea market or it is a family heirloom it is possible to bring it back to life with furniture paint!

French Provincial chest before
French Provincial chest before

Begin with a clean surface. Lightly wipe any dust or debris from your vintage furniture. (I also had to lightly sand the edges of this piece where the paint was coming off.)

Once surface is clean you are ready to paint! I applied a thin coat of Jolie Moroccan Clay to the top drawer to add highlights. I let the Moroccan Clay dry and then began to paint the entire piece in Dixie Belle Cotton.

Dixie Belle Cotton
Dixie Belle Cotton

I used a mist bottle to help blend the two paint colors together. I wanted them to look almost as if they were one. 

PRO TIP: After your first coat of paint as dried spray the mist bottle to help blend the first coat in with the second coat. (This is great for getting out brush marks. :))

Applying Dixie Belle Cotton
Applying Dixie Belle Cotton

Once your first coat of paint has dried you are ready to apply a second coat of paint. Apply second coat in even thin layers. Using the spray bottle when necessary to remove brush marks (this will help soften up the paint and will make it easy to blend out any brush marks). 

You will need 2-3 coats of paint. Dixie Belle Cotton dries pretty fast. I recommend letting it sit for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the weather. Once dry you are ready to seal your vintage furniture.

I used  Jolie Wax. I applied the wax with a  wax brush being sure to not over work the wax. You do not want the wax to become rubbery (if wax becomes rubbery you know you have rubbed it in too much). 

PRO TIP: Wipe off excess wax with shop towels. Lightly buff with shop towels to create a shine. 

close up of painted vintage furniture
close up of painted vintage furniture

After your vintage furniture is sealed it is complete! Great job!

Have you painted vintage furniture before? If so, how did you like it? What color did you paint your furniture? I am always curious! Leave a comment below!

how to chalk paint vintage furniture
how to chalk paint vintage furniture

• Vintage furniture  (flea market)
  • Moroccan Clay Paint  (Jolie Paint)
  • Cotton Paint  (Dixie Belle)

Megan