For Whom The Bell(s) Tolls

$30

My Mother passed away last year and I found these small bells in her crafting box. They were tarnished and tied together with satin rope. My assumption was she tried to make wind chimes and finally gave up. In memory of her various interests in building, sewing and crafting, I decided to finish what she had started.

I took a trip to Hobby Lobby and found some ideas that I felt would give these bells a new life.

Before - Original bells

Original bells as I found them in the bottom of her crafting box.

After - Now her bells are on display

My interpretation of giving these tiny bells a new life. I think my mother would be happy that I took my time and effort to make something that she had started.

I have no idea what this is

I must have walked up and down every isle in Hobby Lobby trying to find something to hang the bells on, then I spotted this and knew it would somehow work.

This, whatever it is was $3.49

Always looking for a good deal, so into the cart it went.

Sprayed everything with copper

Before spraying the bells, I spent time removing the tarnish. Using RUST-OLEUM hammered metal, everything received two coats.

Dry brushed faux tarnish

Just barely got enough paint, sea green, to dab on the bells and holder

Close up of holder/base
Close up of bells
Sealed everything

Used Valspar clear premium finish to seal everything.

This is the first string of beads

There were 10 bells, so I had to make 10 strings of beads. Mind you, I am not a jewelry or bead crafter so this was very tedious work for me.

Finished string of beads

For those of you who are expert bead crafters, I beg your forgiveness. I did the best I could. Once the 10 strings were finished, I added the bells and attached them to the base frame. I found some pre-strung beads on sale at Michaels for $2.99 each and used as fillers for gaps. To complete the look, some artificial plants were plopped inside.

Finished.

For me, this was a labor of love and a tribute to my Mother. And a daily reminder of what a talented person she was.

3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!

• Ginia
    Ginia

Beautiful. Mom wasn’t the only talented member of the family!

• Penny
    Penny

This is simply beautiful and what a fine tribute to your Mom

• Mani
    Mani

Thanks Penny. I enjoyed doing this.