Buffalo Check Napkin Rings

$12

There're some trends in home decor that never go out of style and buffalo check is one of them! It's been around forever and keeps on re-inventing itself over and over. Today, it's used mostly as accents - especially in decorative accessories. Plus, you can find lots of craft items on Pinterest and other sites using buffalo check. And the best part, you can find ideas to mix it up with whatever suits you! Like these buffalo check flowers (made out of faux leather) and crystal clear napkin rings: Casual + Glam = Classic!

buffalo check napkin rings

Let's start with a roll of buffalo check faux leather ribbon! It's a nice and wide, 24" x 8" roll! Just enough to make four napkin rings!

buffalo check napkin rings

Next, find a free, flower template you like online, then copy in Word. Make a slightly smaller version while in Word and print and cut-out the two sizes. Next, trace the two patterns on the back of the faux leather and cut out.

buffalo check napkin rings

Then, place each of the faux leather flowers between two layers of parchment paper and heat with a medium heat iron for a few seconds to warm up the material. Quickly place the paper and flower on top of a fluffy pillow and use the end of a round handle tool to twist down on the faux leather flower to give it curvature, depth and dimension.  

buffalo check napkin rings

Also, while the material is still warm and pliable, pinch and twist the tips of the flower to help shape the petals.

To make the flower center, cut a 1/2" strip of faux leather six inches long.

buffalo check napkin rings
 Then run a bead of glue along the wrong side edge and fold lengthwise in half, sealing edges together. Cut small slits on folded edge along the entire six inch length. Place a dab of glue on one end and begin rolling tightly together. Continue adding dabs of glue while rolling until reaching the end. Add dab of glue at end to seal and secure. Then fluff out the tiny slits.

buffalo check napkin rings

To assemble the flower, glue the two flower petals together at the center, staggering between petals. Be sure to use either super glue or a quick grab permanent glue to seal. Hot glue will not hold faux leather together! Ask me how I know? I tried it!

Then add glue to the decorative piece and apply to center. Let dry.

buffalo check napkin rings

Measure and cut a strip of faux leather to fit around the center of the acrylic napkin ring. Apply glue to edge and along the middle of the strip.

buffalo check napkin rings

Wrap fabric around napkin ring, smoothing out and sealing with glue when reaching opposite end. Glue flower to center of napkin ring where fabric strip ends meet.

buffalo check napkin rings

How cute is this!

buffalo check napkin rings

Repeat steps to finish three more napkin rings.

buffalo check napkin rings

Make these adorable buffalo check napkin rings for gift giving or enjoy using in your fall and holiday table settings!

buffalo check napkin rings

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Bubbles

Very, very nice!

• Jewellmartin

Very nice, indeed! I like to figure out things for myself, when I can. But the bow center had me flummoxed until I read the directions. Voila! But if I could find Buffalo plaid buttons, that would be my solution. I think of Buffalo plaid as being America’s tartan. I remember reading it was produced for explorers and traders to trade with native Americans. Any better info? Jewell