Frosted Fall Candle Holders and Vase

$5

Our weather has been so terrible since Fall stepped in so I felt the need to cheer myself up by producing color inside my home. I've had this glass paint set for years mostly for the ocean shades in it BUT I never paid any attention to the orange before! Voila, I'll paint some glass candle holders with it and go from there.

Martha Stewart Frosted Glass Paints

I find that you can usually buy loads of these various glass holders at yard sales and thrift stores for just some small change. Even if you purchased them at the dollar store you are still getting a bargain. Fortunately I always have these on hand because I never know when the craft fever will hit.😄

Whenever I paint or etch glass I wash and dry the glass well to get it free from dust and grease. But as a further step to remove any fingerprint smudges I'll wipe the surface I'm about to paint with alcohol.

Final Cleaning with Alcohol

The first video gives you a quick run down of how I apply this particular paint product.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Painting Tips

I squeezed some paint onto foil wrap, once I begin painting the process will go quickly so I like to have fast and easy access to the paint.

Loading my brush with paint

I generally take small amounts onto my sponge and apply in a quick tapping motion, a little paint goes a long way because the glass isn't porous like wood.

Apply using a tapping motion

This second video shows how the whole look of the candle holders came together with just a few small accents

Assembly Instructions

Wrap your ribbon around the cylinder to get a rough measure and snip allowing an extra inch to fold the overlapping raw edge under.

Measure and Cut with Allowance

Once you have your folded edge you may pull it taut and seal the join with hot glue. To keep my container from rolling I made a cradle with burlap to hold it in place while I worked on the trims.

Gluing the Seam

Here they are completed showing you the two different height options you can get with placing them flat or atop a candlestick. I dropped in a couple of battery operated tealights just because I can light them up and walk away and forget it... no mess, no stress!

Frosted Fall Candle Holders

Here they all are on my sideboard looking far from boring now, they turned out great I think. Stay tuned for more and thanks so much for viewing my quick and colorful Fall craft.

Final Look

Note: Time listed below doesn't include dry time for the paint but actual application and assembly afterwards. Cure time for the paint is 21 days to air dry and become permanent. I left these to dry overnight just for good measure before I rough handled them, they dry quickly though.

• Jody

I have been saving my store bought candle jars, how do I get the exess wax & black smoke off them? I put them in the freezer, what next??

• Colimbia1

I have a problem some of the videos on Hometalk Where the video should be there is black window with an error notice that it cannot be played. However when I "pinned" and of course got the same problem.

• Gilad L

Cool!