Ugly Stovetop Coverup the Memaw’s Way

$10

I have scrubbed and scrubbed my flat top stove and it is clean but some marks just won’t budge! I also have a very small kitchen and limited counter space. I wanted something that was beautiful, unique and useful. I decided to make a stoveboard to cover and help with added counter space. I am a staining artist and love to incorporate my work into my home.

PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE. If you have animals or children that can turn your stove on or if you are not mindful of what you are doing this is not for you. Hope you enjoy the outcome and visit my Facebook page to see more of my work. Www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

I build the board 29.5”x22, which is a standard size stove. This particular design is for a smooth top stove. To create one with raised coils or gas grates the piece would look like a box.

I use 1x6 knotty pine boards. I cut them 29 1/2in. Lay them flat and clamp them together, the dimensions are now 22x29.5, standard stove size. Place a 1x3 on the edges for the handles, glue and clamp, I leave mine for 30 minutes. Turn over and attach from the bottom with 3/4in screws, countersink them.

You can paint, stain or however you would like to create it. I am a staining artist so I am going to use wipe on stain to create an image on my board. I am drawing it out lightly in pencil.

Finished. I add handles to the sides. I like to use ones that screw from the top.

I seal with shellac when it is dry. These boards are for decor only. Do not cut on them and never place on the stove until it is completely cool. I posted a few examples of the different designs I create. It looks stunning and really brings a feel of warmth to my kitchen. You can visit my Facebook page to see more of my work.

To see more: //www.memawshouse.com

• Julie

Did you use a paintbrush to put the stain on with? Gorgeous!!

• Tara Roseberry

I make these constantly and they sell very well. People love them! So easy and fun to make also. I add all sorts too them. Sayings, drawings, monogram, whatever. Plus I have 6 different designs.