Butler’s Pantry Wall

$1500
2 Weeks
Advanced

We are almost done with our kitchen remodel. Whew! We have a 4 foot wall that has 15 “ depth IKEA cabinets and I’ve made it my butler’s pantry. I’ll take you through the cabinet installation to the building of the plank wall that consists of wood from our former dock!

Here is where we began. This was before the remodel started. It’s truly amazing how crowded and messy things look in the before picture. I’ve vowed to myself to not have so much stuff out in the future!

So the old cabinets are out and here is the first cabinet installed. This is our 2nd kitchen remodel using IKEA cabinets and we were so happy with our 1st kitchen remodel (in our previous house) that we didn’t think twice when doing the remodel at our lake house.

All the uppers and lowers done! Our cabinets door fronts are “Grimslov“ in off white. The handle name is “Borghamn” and is from IKEA too!

Countertops done! This is called Spring Carnival from Wilsonart. Love it! We hired this part of the project.

This is the old growth cedar that was used as floatation for our dock that was originally built back in the 50’s. We built a new dock a few years ago and brought the old logs out to dry. We then had them milled on site, put them in stacks to dry, and now we are using them as moldings, planks and barn doors in our house remodel. We had them milled in different widths and dimensions.

Here my husband is cutting them to the size we wanted for the planks. He also sent them through a planer to make them smooth.

Here they are being dry fit.

Here he is air nailing them in. Before they were installed we put on a transparent waterproofing wood finish sealer by Behr that brought out the natural color.

He added molding to the sides to finish off the look.

We also added under cabinet lighting, from where else but, IKEA! It is called “Omlopp LED”. You can also add a remote control called “Tradfri“. I love this too!

Finally, it’s done. I will keep it clean. It just makes me happy and calm.

• Luna

I'm confused... Why paint that beautiful teal only to have it covered with the wood planks?

• Jody Harris

The wall was a mishmash if colors. I had friends coming over so I painted it the aqua color that we painted our main focal wall in our kitchen redo so it didn’t look so bad. Now, the wood warms it up, plus it’s a great memory knowing it’s our old dock. Recycling at its best!

• Little Homestead In Boise

Looks great, but I would have put the receptacles off of the wood and on the sheet rock if possible. Or maybe buy wood receptacles covers? A lot fo white plastic on the gorgeous cedar. Great job otherwise, tons of storage, I love Ikea!

• Em

Nothing matches like the original planking on a photo copy.

• Kerri Willerford

Looks great

An idea... make switchplates to match the wood or move them to inside if the cabinet

the white plates distracted my eyes

• Cara Riggles

What a wonderful transformation! It's lovely!