Giving and Old Dresser a New Life and Adding More Storage.

$25

We made over this small dresser to add beautiful and budget friendly storage.

We had this great sturdy dresser that my husband and his brothers used as kids. I loved the style but it needed a makeover!

The wood veneer was broken in several spots and the finish was in terrible shape and staining was no longer an option.

Overall the piece was very sturdy and perfect for what we were looking for.

We first went about patching the damaged veneer and nicks with DAP plastic wood filler. My hubby swears by this stuff.

We filled all the spots and let it dry completely.

Next we used a small palm sander to sand the piece completely making it smooth. We really wanted a more sleek looking finish. We also wiped the entire piece down with mineral spirits to prep for the paint.

I decided to go with black for this piece and had chalk paint tinted pure black.

I painted the entire piece with a foam roller. These give a really smooth finish, I taped off all of the parts I did not want paint on. The handles were attached and I wanted those to stay the original gold tone.

After the piece was completely dry, I waxed with an antiquing wax. I like the antiquing wax on dark pieces because I feel it gives them a little depth.

Now we have a beautiful solid piece for the price of some chalk paint and we love the way it turned out!

• Yolanda

What are the pros and cons of using chalk paint and waxi versus using black paint

• Onwingandhoof

The biggest pro for me about chalk paint, is its never sticky and doesn't peel off like the latex paints.