Chair Makeover

2 Materials
$65
6 Hours
Medium

I found this awesome chair on a road trip to Branson, Missouri. Fell in love with it right away and the leopard print reminded me of my mother, she would've loved it. Besides, it was $25!! There is no way I could pass that up!. It didn't go with my décor scheme at all but I left it alone for years, in honor of my mother, and just used it for my office and staging houses.


As the reno's of my house started coming together (years of it, still not done) I finally decided to redo it to match my décor.

Here she is! I love everything about it, the size, shape, style and lines.

I started taking off the material, trying to be careful not to rip it so I could used it to size up the new material. It had tons of staples. I mean staples upon staples......

Here is a close up of the staples, not only were there lots but they were all crushed in the middle so I found it harder to get them out.

It looked like the chair had been redone a few times, there were two different material patterns underneath the leopard material. Of course at the time, I wasn't a Hometalker yet so I didn't take many pics sadly.

But, I finished removing about a gazillion staples, then primed and painted the chair. Once I was happy with the look, I cut the material to size using the old material. I also changed the padding for the chair and the seat.

Stapling the material to the chair was really hard. I've done a few chairs so it wasn't the first but this was more challenging. I wish I took more pics of the mistakes I made, as I had to remove the new staples and redo them a few times.

Once I was finally satisfied with the placement of the material, I then glued chair trim around the seams to finish it off. 

Here she is! I chose a light blue crushed velvet material and am very happy with the look. This beauty sits in my walk in closet and I try not to cover her with clothes!


I promise to take more detailed pics with future projects, I realize this post may not be too helpful with redoing a chair.

Suggested materials:

  • 2 yards of material
  • Primer and paint  (Rona)

Top Hometalk Projects

3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
14 DIY Hacks to Stay Clean While Camping
Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
13 Spectacular Ways To Display Your House Number
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
14 Cool Ways To Upholster Chairs That You Can DIY
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Of The Best DIY Mirror Projects Ever Made
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Essential Hacks For Cleaning Around Your Home
15 Fabulous Fire Pits For Your Backyard

Have a question about this project?

Join the conversation

4 of 8 comments
  • William
    on Dec 2, 2019

    WOW! It's gorgeous. Looks like somebody did a terrible job before. Crushed staples are a no no. They didn't go in all the way so they tried to hammer them. I've seen it too many times. You gave it the character and class it was begging for. Great job.

    • Mihaela Parker
      on Dec 6, 2019

      Thank you, yes it definitely made the work harder then it should've been lol.

  • Jay Howard
    on Dec 28, 2019

    love this.! yes, I would love to give it a try.

    • Mihaela Parker
      on Dec 29, 2019

      Thank you! It definitely can be challenging but so worth it. I think it's the forth one I've redone, hope to do another soon and I'll definitely post more in between pics with more helpful hints this time!

Your comment...