Asked on Jan 14, 2020

How do I get rid of gnats that are on my plants?

HomeroadAdrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomeBetsy
+8

Have gnats in or on my plants. How can I get rid of them? Tried spraying with vinegar water and few drops dish soap. Not working.

• Cynthia H

I put out a small glass bowl with apple cider vinegar (about 1/3 of the bowl), the same amount of water, a squirt of dish detergent. Mix and sit next to your plants

It isn't instantaneous, but you will start seeing the bugs drowned, in the mixture. When it gets sludgy looking or gross looking from all the bugs, pour it down the drain, rinse the bowl and refill it. Continue until they are gone. I also clean my sink drains with vinegar to keep them from breeding there.

• Kathy Gunter Law

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp water

a squirt of dish detergent

Take a 20 oz soda bottle, cut it 1/3 way down and unscrew top. Pour mixture in the bottom. Invert the top and place in the bottle. They will fly in and get trapped.

• Beth

I have a similar solution, but slightly different than those suggested already. Take a bowl or cup--whatever is easiest--fill it about 1/3 full with apple cider vinegar. Then put some cling wrap over the top and hold it in place with a rubber band or some tape. Poke some holes in the cling wrap--big enough to let the gnats through, but not so big that they can get out. This will catch them and trap them. Your problem should be solved within a couple of days.

• Mogie

• Use a hydrogen peroxide & water solution
    • Allow the potting soil to dry out
    • Repot the plant or refresh the growing medium
    • Use yellow sticky cards to attract and trap fungus gnats
    • Apply insecticides to the potting soil
    • Use a biological control agent

• Fiddledd224

Gnats and fruit flies thrive and multiply in moist soil so make sure not to overwater plants and wipe down wet surfaces (sinks, countertops, etc) frequently. Once the source of moisture goes away so will your little pests.

• Pat

Could they be white flies instead of gnats? If so, I use a systemic insecticide that is incorporated in the soil. It enters into the roots and up to the leaves where anything sitting or eating the leaves will leave. White fly, if this is what you have, is contagious to any green plants in its area. I always treat my plants when they are brought into the house. I get my insecticide at Earl May or any store that has a garden shop.

Hi Barb: If you have fungus gnats, the ones in the dirt, try this: Water your plant with a mixture of one part hydrogen peroxide and four parts water. The solution will kill the larvae, but is harmless to your plant. Reapply the hydrogen peroxide solution once a week until you see that the fungus gnats are gone. Place yellow sticky traps near the infested plant.

If they are different type of gnats, check this site: https://wallygro.com/blogs/feature/how-to-get-rid-of-gnats-in-houseplants

If you have spider mites, do this: https://getbusygardening.com/control-spider-mites/

Good luck

• Add a little hydrogen peroxide to the soil

• Homeroad

My daughter is a huge plant lover and she uses these https://amzn.to/2NHpthv . They work really well!