Vanity No More

$45
Advanced

Hey there my friends! Several furniture painters I follow have transformed vintage vanities into side tables. This was something I hoped to do so I kept an eye out for a vanity on my thrift shopping trips. Luckily, my hubby's family did some cleaning at his mom's house and she had not one but two! Today I'm sharing one that I have completed.

After giving the vanity a thorough cleaning and a light sanding, it was time to separate the vanity into two pieces. My hubby used a table saw to cut down the center first to help make more accurate cuts later.

Next, he cut as close as possible to the sides.

There were openings located on the insides which had to be filled. Since they were deep he cut and glued small pieces of wood in them. Then we used Bondo to fill in where needed. I had to apply Bondo a couple more times to get the surface even (sanding in between each application).

Due to lots of scratches on the entire pieces, I filled those in with Bondo also. I sanded each piece after the Bondo dried and reapplied where needed.

Next, I applied two coats of Zinseer Bin Primer to help with possible bleed through. I primed the inside and outside of the drawers also because there were stains and ink marks. Then it was time to choose paint color. I decided to use Dixie Belle Paint in the color Sea Glass. I sealed the paint with Dixie Belle Paint’s clear wax.

We weren’t able to salvage the tops. We used a piece of shelving board I picked up at Lowes. I was able to get both tops from one board.

I gave the boards a light sanding to smooth the edges. Then I applied pre-stain conditioner before applying two coats of stain. After the stain was dry, I applied three coats of Minwax Wipe-On Poly in satin.

I love this color stain by Varathane (BriarSmoke).

To give the drawers a little pizzazz, I painted stripes on the sides. I achieved this by using Frog Painters tape spaced evenly and used my Sea Glass paint. I sealed the inside and outside of the drawers with 2 coats of Minwax Polycrylic in Satin.

I replaced the knobs with white ceramic knobs from Hobby Lobby.

I love the finished results! Next, I have to tackle the matching chest of drawers.

*UPDATE: The matching chest is complete.

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/leapoffaith090117/

• Johanne Palange

I wonder is you could save the drawer and use the original top cut to size to make a dresser-top storage drawer? Anyway, nice flip.

• Diane Tanner

There want a drawer on that but awesome idea for one that does

• Janettey

How much all together did that cost in money and for your time?

Cute tho

• Leap of Faith

The vanity was free from my mother in law. I already had the paint, stain, and primer on hand. The top was about $25 but I didn’t use the whole piece. Knobs were on sale at Hobby Lobby and they cost about $8 total. The cost I listed with this post ($45) is a good estimate. It’s hard to judge time because of starting and stopping. But it took about a week to complete everything.

• Susan Lee Sackmary

If you don't mind my asking, why were you unable to save the tops? TIA!

• Michelle

These are absolutely beautiful! Now I'm going to be stalking my local Goodwill!

• Leap of Faith

Thank you! ❤️ Good look in your search. I’ve seen other people do this with desks too.

• Angela Turner

I have a piece similar to the before product, and was considering throwing it out. But now I have an excellent idea for some night stands for next to my bed!!! Thank you so much will send pics of the finished pieces.

• Leap of Faith

Awesome! Can’t wait to see them❤️ I just finished the matching chest of drawers. You can check it out on my Instagram page.