Asked on Jan 18, 2020

How do I fix a drawer whose bottom is coming apart?

SharonRosalie RogersUnique Creations By Anita
+6

I have a desk drawer and a dresser drawer that have the bottoms striating to droop and they are causing problems with opening the drawers beneath them. Any quick fixes once I get them back in their slots to keep this from happening again,?

Hi Rosalie: Well, there are a couple of things you can do. One is to get new boards and replace the bottoms. You can get this wood at a home improvement store.

Or, you can remove the bottoms, get them moist on both sides, not wet, and put them on a flat surface and put something heavy on them to see if they will straighten out. Let them dry at least 24 hours. Then, replace them by stapling or tacking them back in place.

I just found this site, maybe it will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYls_OGRnrU

Good luck

• Zard Pocleeb

Can you post a picture? Drawer bottoms are set into a slot. Is the slot broken out? Is the drawer bottom warped? Is the drawer itself loose and coming apart? These problems are fixed in different ways.

• Usually the drawer bottom can be realigned into the slot on the front of the drawer and glued. You can also add a few small nails to reinforce it.

• Cynthia H

A quick fix is to flip it over and slide it back in. Some of the drawers in modern furniture have really flimsy bottoms. You can reinforce them, crossing duct tape on the bottom, or adding something stiffer on the inside. A permanent fix would be as already suggested, replacing the wood (which may be more cardboard than wood).

• Christina Faye Repurposed

I would replace the bottoms. Most drawer bottoms if they are sagging are not real wood, it's some sort of cheap MDF board or particle board.

• Unique Creations By Anita

Glue a piece of wood across the center of the base for support.

• Rosalie Rogers

I noticed that the bottom had simply popped out of the grooves made for it. What I did was lighten the amount of clothes so I did not have to stuff them down, put the bottom back in the grooves and then I will use duct tape tp keep them in place if necessary. It will help just not having to shove the drawer closed when it is really packed to tightly.

• Sharon

I use carpenter's glue to slide them back into the drawer slots, and then use 1/4" flat balsawood pieces glued to the underside to support the drawer glued in place. You can get the balsawood in the hardware store or a craft store. Make a knotch in the drawer sides to glue the wood into the sides and across the drawer bottom.

Then don't overload the drawer with heavy stuff to cause it to fail.