Bathroom Cabinet Transformation

$50

My mom decided she had disliked her cabinets for long enough. It was time to transform them into something she wouldn't mind looking at everyday. Inspired by our kitchen cabinet makeover, she decided to try her own variations and transform her bathroom cabinets.
These were the cabinets before. When we made her her kitchen cabinets, we used wood filler and trim boards to change the entire appearance of the doors. We were able to do that because we planned to a paint all the kitchen cabinets. The only way were were able to do that was because of the paint! This time around, mom wanted to stain and not paint so she went a different direction.
In addition to the door fronts, she also didn't care for the dark wood stain. So she got to sanding! An orbital sander worked great for this!Step 1: Use an orbital sander to sand ALL the wood on the cabinets.
Step 2: Remove all the doors and sand those thoroughly.
It took a lot of time and patience, but she got all the doors, drawers and spindles sanded down to reveal the wood below.
Step 3: Put a 1/4 inch piece of plywood and covered the front of the doors. The thin wood covered perfectly and blended in nicely to the door front.
Step 4: Drill a hole for the door knob and put the hardware back on.
Step 5: Add a new, lighter, wood stain!
This bathroom was transformed in one weekend, by one person! If you'd like to see how we transformed my moms kitchen cabinets, click here!

Amber Oliver

• Susan

“Step 3: Put a 1/4 inch piece of plywood and covered the front of the doors.”

I’m uncertain what happened in this step. Can you show photographs of what this means?

• Teresa

It looks like to me that she glued a very thin piece of plywood directly over the existing doors to stain. Hope that helps

• Lisa

Wouldn't you have to caulk the gap between the new wood front and the old cabinet door?

• Karen Lephart

I think that's what the wood filler is for. I used wood filler to fill the lines of wall paneling. I primed/sealed it. I have painted and also wall papered over it.