How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets

$100
1 Week

If you want to update your kitchen but don’t want to tear down your current cabinets there is an alternative. Painting your kitchen cabinets is an easy way to bring your kitchen up-to-date without doing a full-blown renovation. I’ll show you how I painted my cabinet bases and new cupboard doors to update my kitchen with a fresh and modern look.
These are my new unfinished cabinets from fastcabinetdoors.com. The style is called "Camden" and it is beadboard mdf with a shaker style wood frame around it. Whether you are replacing the cabinets with new unfinished ones or painting your existing cabinets the steps are basically the same.
The first step is to remove your existing cabinet doors. Clean them very well inside and out and then fill in any holes and lightly sand them down. Then you can paint the interior with a sprayer or a brush and roller. Check out my video for more details on this.
  1. Lay cabinets down on a large flat surface protected by plastic.
  2. Use small cups or cans to prop the cabinets off the ground so that the edges to not touch the floor or surface of whatever you are working on.
  3. Use a paint sprayer or roller to apply the paint in up and down strokes on the cabinet.
  4. Use a small roller to apply paint to the outside edge.
  5. Let dry 24 hours between coats.
  6. Sand lightly with fine grit sandpaper between coats.
  7. Apply 2 or 3 coats of paint to each side of the cabinet.
  8. Once the cabinets have dried for 24 hours you can hang them up on the cabinet bases.

This is how the cabinets looked after one coat. I did about 3 coats with no primer. I used Valspar Cabinet Enamel from Lowes.
Here is a close up of the after. On the front of the cabinets I used a brush and roller as the weather outside was too nasty to spray and I don't have an adequate space indoors to use the sprayer without taping up the room to look like Dexter's kill room.
Here are all the cabinets all finished and hung up.

Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Renee

I couldn’t understand what kind of cleaner you used. Could you let me know? I have a hard time finding a cleaner that works good for grease and dirt.

• Char Cole

Or u could use Simple Green ...i used full strength (spray on) n wiped with a wet wash cloth

• Kara Wurtzel

Looks beautiful!

• Beth

Dexter's kill room?! LOL!

Love the makeover...my husband being a cabinet maker means I'm a cabinet widow! I am definitely inspired❤️