DIY Wicker Storage Basket Tray Table

$30

Easy coffee table or side table with storage and removable tray tabletop.

I took a large old wicker basket that had seen better days and gave it a good washing with soap and water, let it drip dry, and sprayed it with Rust-Oleum Chalked spray paint in Serenity Blue.

Once the spray paint was dry I painted the basket with Rust-Oleum Chalked paint in Linen white. After I had painted it on I lightly wiped it off with a rag.

While the basket was drying I stained a 24" round wood tabletop with Varthane interior wood stain in "Sunbleached". Once the stain was dry I used two coats of Polycrylic Clear Satin to seal it.

I drilled out holes for the handles that would form the tabletop tray and attached them using a cordless drill.

Here is the finished coffee table. It would also make a great end table, side table, or nightstand. There is plenty of room for storage in the basket and the tray is removable so you can you can use it as a conventional tray as well as a tabletop.

• Michelle Perram

Wonderful use of an old basket. Do you use the inside for storage? I did something similar with a large terra cotta pot. Just a little paint on the design and a glass top that I had. It's not the best picture but it does make a nice little outdoor table.

• Sarah Almond | Salmonde

Thanks, the basket was given to me by my Aunt when she downsized. I am not sure how old it is or where she got it, but it had been painted at least twice.

• Lisa Anne
    6 minutes ago

Where can you find a table top to make this?

• Lisa Anne
    7 minutes ago

Also what size is the basket?