Sharpie Shiplap Closet Doors

$55

These sad builder grade doors needed a makeover badly! So with the help of some grey paint a triangle square and a sharpie they transformed into this.

These are the tools that I needed. The triangle square is crucial for getting the angles right.

Here is the before photo of the doors. Plain and boring 🙁

I used Home Depot Marquee paint. It is a paint and the primer is built in so that saved me a step. The color is Downtown Gray PPU24-10 It’s a neutral warm gray.

I used my pencil and straight edge to draw a 1” band on the edge to mimic a piece of trim. I then used the pencil to make a tick mark every 4” along the edge.

I lined up the edge of the triangle square with the edge of the door. There is a lip on the edge of the square and that helps to line it up perfectly every time. I started drawing the line using the square and would finish it using my straight edge.

Draw a level center line with your pencil. You will be erasing that so don’t go over it with the sharpie. It’s there as a guide so you know where to stop the sharpie line.

Continue drawing the lines at 4” intervals. Once you get to the horizontal center line you will change directions.

Go back and erase the center line. A pencil eraser works well. I used the magic eraser on any stubborn spots.

Here it is completed. I installed this barn door looking pull to finish off the look. It’s actually a black towel bar that I hung vertically. I hoped you enjoyed this tutorial 😃 leave me a comment below and let me know what you think.

• Bobbie Quigley Wilkins

You mentioned a silver and black sharpie. Where did you use the silver sharpie ?

• Patrice

Did you take off the door to draw the lines? What about painting the door? Did you take the door off to paint?

• Jane

Love this idea. I have boring closet and bedroom doors. When did you use the markers?

• Miyoko Bell

Perhaps the better question is how long did you wait, after the paint dried before you used the sharpie.