Adding a Little Charachter to a New Door

$200
1 Day

Adding some charachter to a new pine door by layering stain.

When we remodeled our en suite bathroom, we wanted to add a little charachter to the new pine door we installed.

We started with a raw, solid pine door from the home improvement store. We plan on replacing all the hollow core doors in our house with these. I didn't want to paint them and I also really love the look of weathered wood.

I started by staining the door with a mid tone stain. I used Early American by Varathane.

I simply wiped the stain on, keeping it even, with a rag. Easy peasy.

After I had given the door a complete double coat of the first stain, I started wiping on white wash pickling stain. This was a slower process. I wiped it on and then wiped off the stain until I had the look I wanted.

I did this until I had a consistant look I was happy with. I then let it dry completely.

I then used a furniture finishing wax to seal the door. I gave the door three coats. I just wiped it on on using an old sock.

I love the way the door turned out. I think it gives the door charachter and interest. I can't wait to do this to the rest of the doors in the house!

Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!

• GMS

I love the look of real wood, especially doors, I think when it come time to replace doors on my rooms in my house I will follow this - I hate that they all were painted and they are all real wood doors too - noone seems to appreciate real wood anymore without covering it with tons of paint - Great Job!

• Jennifer

Thank you! I really love the look of real wood doors. It definitely is so much more interesting!

• Karen Dunnam

*character is the correct spelling

• Arlene

I had to go back and look for the word charachter. Thank you Karen Dunnam if she had only used the correct spelling it would have made the project perfect.