DIY Contemporary Art

$40

A easy and inexpensive way to create art for your space.

I always have a hard time finding art for my home. I think that this is one of my biggest challenges when I am decorating any space. Then, when I find something I love, it usually ends up being way too expensive. I recently have been admiring some beautiful contemporary pieces that I have seen online. So, I decided to try to make my own.

I didn't do any planning for this. When I decided to try ot out, I also decided that I would try to use a lot of the craft materials I had on hand. I used some thick paper we had and a sample pot of paint and paint brushes that I also had on hand.

I thought a little about the look I was going for but mostly, I just started painting. This is my art so I make the rules!

I made a few different designs and it was a big experiment. Anything goes when I am creating!

One thing I did buy, were the frames. I knew I wanted to keep it simple and inexpensive so I headed to IKEA. I decided on the Ribba frames because in addition to the simplicity of the frame, they also had a mat which I think elevates the look of anything framed.

I used the mat to decide how to center the painting and then cut off the excess and framed the piece.

I actually did a few pieces so I could layer with other art and photography.

This is a fun and easy project. The best part is you can customize your piece using the style and colors you want!

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home

• Janice
    Janice

Really inspiring that something so simple can have so much impact! Thanks for posting, I'll use this at some point soon. :)

• Shawna
    Shawna

I found this at the perfect time - kids are home due to Covid virus, so it’s a win win! I get new artwork for the home and they get to do something creative during the quarantine! :) Thanks for sharing! You did an amazing job creating the pieces!