DIY Contemporary Art

$40

A easy and inexpensive way to create art for your space.

I always have a hard time finding art for my home. I think that this is one of my biggest challenges when I am decorating any space. Then, when I find something I love, it usually ends up being way too expensive. I recently have been admiring some beautiful contemporary pieces that I have seen online. So, I decided to try to make my own.

I didn't do any planning for this. When I decided to try ot out, I also decided that I would try to use a lot of the craft materials I had on hand. I used some thick paper we had and a sample pot of paint and paint brushes that I also had on hand.

I thought a little about the look I was going for but mostly, I just started painting. This is my art so I make the rules!

I made a few different designs and it was a big experiment. Anything goes when I am creating!

One thing I did buy, were the frames. I knew I wanted to keep it simple and inexpensive so I headed to IKEA. I decided on the Ribba frames because in addition to the simplicity of the frame, they also had a mat which I think elevates the look of anything framed.

I used the mat to decide how to center the painting and then cut off the excess and framed the piece.

I actually did a few pieces so I could layer with other art and photography.

This is a fun and easy project. The best part is you can customize your piece using the style and colors you want!

• Janice

Really inspiring that something so simple can have so much impact! Thanks for posting, I'll use this at some point soon. :)

• Shawna

I found this at the perfect time - kids are home due to Covid virus, so it’s a win win! I get new artwork for the home and they get to do something creative during the quarantine! :) Thanks for sharing! You did an amazing job creating the pieces!