#spring2020refresh Low Cost Kitchen Makeover

$200

Does your kitchen need an update? Cabinetry is a staple in any kitchen, but they can really drag down the whole look and feel. Here’s a way to update without all the expense and construction!

(please keep in mind estimated cost and time are based of the size of kitchen)

Before

Before

Before

Prepping is a big key in properly preparing your project for paint. In this case, kitchen cabinets, trim and chair rail. Start by clearing out the room and areas where you are going o be working.

** KEEP THE DOORS ON!**

IF doors are removed they will not go back on the way they once were. I don’t know what it is, but trust me!

Clean

Clean, clean and clean! This a prefect cleaner to cut through grease, food and dirt that builds up in a kitchen. Throughly clean anything that’s going to be painted. Let dry completely.

**remove any knobs and/or pulls from your cabinets, clean those in a tub of warm water and vinegar to help break up buildup then clean with Krud Kutter and rinse.

Paint

After all the prep and cleaning is finished, it’s time to paint! I use DIY paint and finishes. It’s a clay based paint. It has superior coverage and durability once cured. But a chalk paint brand and of course your choosing of color will do too! I leave doors on and drawers in. Again, I highly recommend leaving the doors on. Drawers are ok to remove, but I think it’s easier leaving them in their place. Make sure to clean up edges and leave the doors and drawers slightly open to dry.

Top Coat

Apply two-three coats of paint. Some spots may need 4. As long as everything is fully covered and dried over night, you’re good to go to next step! I used DIY Big Top.

**apply at least two coats to ensure complete coverage**

You can also use a poly acrylic water base top coat. (Make sure to keep your bases the same ingredient. For example, oil base, water based or acrylic base. That’s if you use a different type of paint, other than chalk paint. (**Always use water based for chalk paint products)

Wax

If you’re going to use a wax for the extra protection (which is what I always do) it is the last step! Wax always goes on last! This is very important to remember!

If you had already applied two coats of a top coat, you’ll only need one coat of wax.

After

After your top coat is dried, it’s time to add your hardware and complete your kitchen cabinet transformation! Just look at what paint can do! It’s a new kitchen!

I hope this helps inspire you!

make sure to follow me on social media!

the links are posted!

• Yvonne

I just seen this doing mine over but I took doors and knobs all off now I wish I wouldn’t of did u do in and out sides of doors?

• Re-Picks

I hope you don’t have and issues with the doors. Sometimes you get lucky. With this project, I did not paint the inside. They were requested to stay as is.

• Karen Posney

How much paint did it take to do the cabinet's?

• Re-Picks

Brand is everything. I used DIY paint products. So it only took me about 3 quarts. That’s with 2 coats of paint.

• Susan Hughey Oldcorn

So you don’t have to sand or use a primer?