Asked on Mar 8, 2020

What do I need to make a purse like this?

KmdreamerSimple Nature DecorBeth
+13

I am trying to make this clutch purse but have no idea what this is on the side of the purse.Side 1

• Johnavallance82

Hi, I take it this is not new and you are the second owner! Could it be engine oil ? Part of the design?? Does the mark go right through to the inside or just on outside surface. Is it sticky? Have you tried to remove it and if so, with what? If the sides are silk it might be a perfume leak, does it smell of anything?

• Kathy Slesinski Peters

It looks like a mirrored finish where the silvering has been damaged. You would need to refinish the silvering.

• Robyn Garner

It looks like the surface material is off and that's the backing that's showing. ???

• Vimarhonor

Hello if you’re wishing to make this a clutch purse do you need to try either pliers or a bolt cutter to cut the D ring to remove the strap.

• Kelli L. Milligan

If I understand you question you are wanting to make a purse like that. Google pursemaking supplies then look thru the companies that pop up and their inventory to see what the parts are called and where to buy. Good luck.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Michelle,

I went looking to see what I could find. I couldn't find that specific piece, but there is a good chance that the mirror is actually faux chrome and created with chrome paint. Of course, this one is probably custom made for that specific project. Also Amazon has a chrome mirror adhesive backed vinyl that you could put on any shape to make it look like a mirror. Explore those possibilities to see if you can make either idea work. Chrome vinyl is below. Wishing you the best.

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Repositionable-Adhesive-Backed-Cutters-Punches/dp/B074JG6HC1

• Cynthia H

I found these links. I hope they help!

https://pin.it/z5uHkTx

https://pin.it/xIt8KLr

Hi Michelle: It looks, to me, that something was inside of the purse and spilled and stained the material all the way through. If it's a greasy or oily type stain, I'd blot it to get as much out as I could. Then, try to clean it with Dawn and warm water. If it's leather,after blotting, I'd try covering it with talcum powder or cornstarch and leave it overnight.

If it's wood, then you can use a mineral spirits wash, such as paint thinner, to dissolve an oil stain on both finished and unfinished wood. Simply dampen a soft, clean cloth with a small amount of the spirits and rub it into the wood, working with the grain, to work the grease out. You can repeat the process as often as needed until the oil is dissolved. Or, another way to remove an oil stain from finished or unfinished wood is with oxygenated bleach,like Oxyclean. To make the cleaning solution, put on protective gloves and mix one scoop of a commercial powdered oxygenated bleach with 1 cup of warm water. Work a small amount of the mixture into the stain using a soft cloth. Then, scrub the wood gently with a soft-bristled brush, working in the same direction of the grain. Wipe the solution off of the wood with a soft, dry cloth and repeat the procedure until the stain is gone.

No matter what the type of material it is, always go with the grain and test the solution on an inconspicuous location first to check the reaction.

Then put some finishing solution on it after it's cleaned. Here's a site that may help:

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-grease-stains-from-leather/

Good luck

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

To me, it looks like a stain that leaked through. Do you know what material it is made of?

• Sharon

They make plexiglass in a chrome/mirror finish also. Tap Plastic carried it.

• Flipturn

Hi Michelle,

As to your question, 'What is on the side of the purse?' -

Are you referring to the black triangular mark, or to the mirror-like material?

• Redcatcec

It looks like a stain or a contaminant of some sort, does it have a different texture or a smell to it?

If this was my purse, I would take it back to where I got it and get one that is not "irregular" as this one is.

Have you consulted the manufacturer?

• Johnavallance82

Hello Michelle,

Might be a License Plate or the front of a Book or Magazine. or even part or Automobile packaging etc....... Happy Crafting

• Beth

Could you try using something like metallic vinyl to cover the entire side section of the purse? They have some cool metallic vinyls that are supposed to be used with Cricuts at Michaels, but you don't have to use them with a Cricut. You can just buy the vinyl and cut it to the size you need to cover this section. See here: https://www.michaels.com/vinyl-and-iron-on/vinyls/928398715?q=metallic

• Simple Nature Decor

it looks like Metallic leather

• Kmdreamer

It is a piece of metel and the top is folded over and made a hinge to hold the strap you could also make our of material to