Rustic Easter Characters

$10

With Easter just around the corner I wanted to make some new Easter Decorations. Because all my projects are made using recycled materials I wanted my Easter decorations to be the same. These are not your typical Easter decorations but they are fun and the signs can be changed to suit any holiday.

I looked around my workshop for suitable materials and these are the materials I came up with. Some did change during the process. I used springs from the base of an old chair for the stands with scraps of plywood. Wire or soldering wire for the arms and legs and a Cricut to make the faces.

To make the shapes, I printed off a shape and traced it onto the wood and cut the shapes using a jigsaw.

Two of my shapes had the bottom cut off to sort of resemble a bunnies head. Or that was the idea. The shapes were sanded smooth with sandpaper.

To make the base for my characters to stand on, I used scraps of plywood I found laying around. You can keep them like this or you can remove the corners with a router like I did.

The springs were cut smaller to suit this project.

To join my Easter characters together, I used the brackets that were on the springs. I screwed them into the base and the egg shape Head like the image above.

I did distress the wood to make them more rustic, but I did not like the look.

Some of the distressing did not come out so I went with plan B and covered them with a scrap piece of burlap fabric. To add some colour, I added some wood stain.

I found some free graphics on the clipart library to use for the faces. They are not very traditional to Easter but neither are my characters. They faces were cut into a vinyl decal using a Cricut vinyl cutter.

The vinyl sticker was transferred to the wood using transfer tape.

The legs and arms for some of these guys were made from pins found on piano keys. I repurposed a piano a few years back and still had the keys.

To make arms and legs out of the wire you will need something like a paintbrush. The wire or soldering iron is wrapped around the brush to get the shape. Once removed the spring shaped can be shaped are desired. Wholes were made in the wood and the wire was glued in place using a hot glue gun.

I still felt the faces looked boring, so I added some false eyelashes for a bit of a fun factor.

That was my characters finished but I thought they did not look like Easter decorations. So there was no doubt, I made some little signs for them to hold.

The Cricut machine does not only cut vinyl it can also draw with a pen. I typed out the words in Cricut design space and chose on font and border. I used a scrap of craft paper to draw the signs.

It would be very difficult for me to cost this project because it was made from recycled materials or materials I had at home.

Looking for a new craft project to try, check out this stunning design added to glass using Unicorn spit. This technique is so simple a child can do it.

Or if you are looking for a project to make with your Cricut, check out these cute dog bandannas.

Unique Creations By Anita