Asked on Mar 20, 2020

How can I get rid of moss in an area that doesn't get a lot of sun?

Johnavallance82Lauren of Mom Home GuideKmdreamer
+14

I have an area that doesn't get sun & I have a lot of green moss growing. How can I get rid of it? The area is always damp, so I'm sure that doesn't help...Thank you !......Madeline

• Nan W.

Madeline: You could "embrace the moss" -- and make it a garden...

https://www.thegardenglove.com/marvelous-moss-gardens/

• Lynn Sorrell

please let it be/let it grow; clearly it is growing because conditions are perfect let Mother Nature work her charms nothing else may grow well there and it's green/alive cleaning our air; also moss is no maintenance and much nicer,cleaner, prettier than concrete or gravel

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Madeline, aerating the whole area would help a lot with drainage after that, if the area isn't enormous you could consider laying down a bed of mulch or creating a type of rock garden.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I love Nan’s idea above! Clearly moss is happy there - embrace it and save yourself so many hassles. Or put down patio stones/flagstones and make a sitting area?

• Beth

I'm along the same line of thought as Nan! I rather like moss. :-)

But if you'd like to get rid of your moss still, here's a tutorial for using dish soap to cut down on moss: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-lawn-moss-dish-soap-41529.html

• Beth

Anything you do to kill plants is going to have some cascading effect. I did also recommend embracing the moss, but not everyone is going to do that, so I also linked to a site that I've found good home DIY/gardening tutorials on. You raised some good points, but the Hometalker who asked the question will have to decide on the pros and cons here of getting rid of moss vs. living with it.

• Redcatcec

Here's a link to some hommade moss killers, although I have never had a reason to use them, it sounds like something might work for your area:

https://www.tipsbulletin.com/homemade-moss-killer/

• I don't love chemicals, so I've removed moss by digging it out and then planting hostas in its place or pachysandra and surrounding it with mulch to prevent the moss from coming back.

• Maura White

Kims idea is fabulous - dig out the moss and replace it with another ground cover that loves moisture!

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Madeline, sorry you are having problems with moss in your yard. Hope this helps. Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Ways to Kill Moss on Your Lawn

1. For small patches, mix in a garden hand sprayer 2 ounces of dish soap and 1 gallon of water. ...
    2. Spray the mixture on the patches of moss. ...
    3. The patches of moss will turn orange or brown in 24 hours and eventually dry up. ...
    4. After raking up the dead moss, take it to an isolated area.

Feb 1, 2020

How Dish Soap Can Kill Unwanted Moss in Your Lawn

www.thespruce.com › Garden Problems › Garden Weeds

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Madeline, you can mix about a tablespoon of baking soda to 1 gallon of water, and pour it on the moss. Baking soda makes the soil more alkaline, and moss prefers a slightly acid soil.

Hi Madeline: The best time to kill moss is in late winter or early spring. This can stop the moss before it heads into its spring growing season, keeping it from spreading before summer. So, you can get a head start on it in a week or so. You can make a spray of Dawn dish soap and water and spray on the moss. Once it's dead, you can raise the level of the soil with other dirt so that it doesn't stay wet in that area. Here's a site that may help:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-lawn-moss-dish-soap-41529.html

Good luck

• Kathy Gunter Law

White cleaning vinegar will kill the spores once you scrape it off. However, it could also kill any plants and grasses that it hits on the ground.

• Kmdreamer

You could dig it up and remove it or move it to another spot

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I've read that Dawn dish soap and water works. I have to get on this project myself! Every year moss grows between the pavers in my backyard patio. It drives me nuts!

• Johnavallance82

Hi Madeline,

Grow Ferns and damp loving plants, and or use Wet and Leave on the slabs.