How to Make Magnets Using Plastic Caps From Water Bottles

$65

Learn how to upcycle plastic water bottles caps and turn them in super cute magnets. The ones I made were for my son's gaming time chart that I made to keep track of how much time he played video games. Each magnets represents 15 minutes

Print

I made a printable file to help you.  I have two versions available depending on whether you have a Silhouette (or Cricut) or only a printer.

For my part, I printed on a white cardstock paper and added stamped ink on it to give it a little texture.

Then, I asked my daughter to color it. The yellow ones will be the 15 minutes for watching videos and the blue ones will be video games.

Assemble the magnets

First, I started by dropping the magnets in the bottom of the plastic bottle caps. 

Second, I added the paper circles on top.

Pour the Resin

Then, I mixed the ArtResin according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Finally, I poured into the caps taking care not to overflow them and spill the ArtResin. Uh … without spilling? not really! I made a mess!!! (that’s why it’s better to wear gloves and to protect your work surface with parchment paper or wax paper!).

In the manufacturer’s instructions, they talk about using a torch to remove the bubbles in the resin. Since the caps are plastic, I thought it was not a very good idea! What do you think? haha

So I used my Heat-it craft tool to remove the bubbles. It is very helpful since it heats up without making too much wind.

And now, 24 hours later, it’s dry and I have beautiful custom magnets to go with my gaming time chart.

Pssst: Can you believe this magnetic chart is a cookie sheet? Check out how I made the frame to hide it here.

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
NeliDesign

• Mary
    Mary

So, the magnets actually held, even through the bottle cap?