How to Make Magnets Using Plastic Caps From Water Bottles

$65

Learn how to upcycle plastic water bottles caps and turn them in super cute magnets. The ones I made were for my son's gaming time chart that I made to keep track of how much time he played video games. Each magnets represents 15 minutes

Print

I made a printable file to help you. I have two versions available depending on whether you have a Silhouette (or Cricut) or only a printer.

For my part, I printed on a white cardstock paper and added stamped ink on it to give it a little texture.

Then, I asked my daughter to color it. The yellow ones will be the 15 minutes for watching videos and the blue ones will be video games.

Assemble the magnets

First, I started by dropping the magnets in the bottom of the plastic bottle caps. 

Second, I added the paper circles on top.

Pour the Resin

Then, I mixed the ArtResin according to  the manufacturer’s instructions. Finally, I poured into the caps taking care not to overflow them and spill the ArtResin. Uh … without spilling? not really! I made a mess!!! (that’s why it’s better to wear gloves and to protect your work surface with parchment paper or wax paper!).

In the manufacturer’s instructions, they talk about using  a torch to remove the bubbles in the resin. Since the caps are plastic, I thought it was not a very good idea! What do you think? haha

So I used my Heat-it craft tool to remove the bubbles. It is very helpful since it heats up without making too much wind.

And now, 24 hours later, it’s dry and I have beautiful custom magnets to go with my gaming time chart.

NeliDesign