Asked on Mar 26, 2020

How can I re-do my kitchen backslash?

JoannaBecky at Flipping the FlipJohnavallance82
+14

Hello-I would like to re do my kitchen backslash into a granite stick on paper. Since the backlash is now in small tiles, won't the paper show into squares also-the space is not smooth..

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I think you’re right. The lines from the tiles will likely show through. Maybe peel and stick tiles would be a better choice?

• Gk

The lines from the tile now will show through the stick on paper as well as any texture the tiles have now. It is possible that you may not notice it too much depending on how busy the granite stick on paper is or if the area is small and you have things on your counter in front of it. You could try a small area and see what you think. I usually have a Plan B if Plan A is a failure!

• Em

Consider one of the plastic tiles in large sizes that Home Depot carries. They are pretty big and look like silver or copper. You can glue them over the tile. Easy to cut with shears.

• Cynthia H

Or, you could try filling in the grout lines with spackle, like I have done with paneling before painting. You could sand it smooth or use a damp sponge to smooth it out. I would do one section and see how it looks. Good luck!

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Joanna, I am sure this is not the answer you wanted, but you want your back splash to look nice. Hope this helps you. Stay well. Things You'll Need

Most contractors would agree that putting wallpaper over ceramic tile is not the best option for re-covering a wall. However, you may find that the process of removing the tile, grout and adhesive is too impractical and time consuming.Jul 17, 2017

How to Put Wallpaper Over Ceramic Tile | Hunker

www.hunker.com › ... › Home Design & Decor › Paint & Wallpaper

Yep. The grout lines will show thru the paper. It needs to be a smooth surface.

• Mogie

Here are some great ideas for an inexpensive back splashes.

12 Inventive Ideas for a Budget Backsplash

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/12-inventive-ideas-for-a-budget-backsplash-49552#peel-and-stick-backsplash

• Flipturn

The stick on 'granite' paper will not adhere properly to a surface already covered with tiles, due to the uneven height differences between the individual tiles and the grout lines.

• I agree with flipturn that you may need to remove the existing tiles before adding the stick on paper.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I agree that the tile should be removed or you could cut the paper in small squares and fit them directly onto each tile. They also sell tile stickers on Amazon.

• Kmdreamer

You could first get compound put all over the tiles and cover completely to cover all cracks smooth out by lightly sanding then apply stick on ( Caution ) wipe down wall after sanding very well with a dry cloth or even vacuumed so your paper sticks.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Why not use or cut your wallpaper into squares to fit the tiles and stick on individually, if you can't find tile covers to suit you..........?

• You might have some trouble getting the paper to stick to tiles that aren't smooth. And if it's in a sheet form to go over existing smaller tiles, yes, you'll see the lines. Contact the manufacturer of the paper you want to use for best tips.

• Joanna

Thank you for responding to my question. Its the consensus that everyone who answered my question agrees that the existing tiles are going to show.