Asked on Mar 31, 2020

How to stop stray cats from peeing on basement window wells and bushes

BetsyCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomKen Erickson
+8

• Maura White

Try citronella, lavender, peppermint, lemongrass or orange essential oils

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

• You can get window well covers. I've heard that cats don't like the small of vinegar and so hosing everything down and then placing cotton balls soaked with vinegar around the area or pour directly on ground
    • Buy cat repellants for the entire area.
    • Get motion sensors to scare the cats.
    • Call animal control and see if they can do something to help you with the cats.
    • Cats don't like moth balls so you can try placing them around the windows.

• Scarlet Paolicchi

Spray area with peppermint essential oil. Bugs don't like it either so it will be 2 for 1:)

• Em

here is a list of repellents you can buy.

• Nature's Mace. REVIEW.
    • Sofa Scram. REVIEW. ...
    • PredatorGuard PestAway. REVIEW. ...
    • Tattle Tale Sonic Pet Training Alarm. REVIEW. ...
    • Homarden Garden Cat Scat Mat. REVIEW. ...
    • PetSafe Ssscat. REVIEW. ...
    • Natural Armor Spray. REVIEW. ...
    • Hoont Motion Activated. REVIEW. ...

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I always say pepermint oil is perfect solution for that . Cats don't like that smell at all

• Mogie

Motion activated water sprinkler.

Clean the area with vinegar to remove the urine odor. Sprinkle cayenne pepper or chili powder around. One sniff and they'll remember. May need to reapply.

• Ken Erickson

German Shepard in the yard. Electric fence in the pee areas.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would find a motion sensor with lights or water to scare them off.

Hi Beth: What I use is those lava rocks. I put them down instead of mulch around my basement windows and in my flower beds. Cats, and most other critters, don't like to walk on them as it's not comfy on their feet. Also, if anything large, like a person, walks near your house on them at night, you will surely hear them :) Also, You can make a mixture of 16 oz of water and a 1/2 bottle of Oil of Clove or Clove Oil, same thing, in a spray bottle. Mix it well and spray it around your plants. It smells nice, but tastes horrible. It's non-toxic, so it won't hurt anything or any one, unless you put it in your' pets mouth. It's toxic if they eat it, but if they smell it, they won't be hurt. You can buy the oil at any candy making store or your local grocery store may carry it. It comes in a bottle about 2 inches tall and only costs a couple of bucks. Once the pet tastes it, they will give the area a wide berth when they smell it! Don't put it on your pet or in their mouths, it's toxic to them if they get more than a little lick. Good luck!