Embroidered Basket Planter

$5

I'm so excited to show you guys my new planter. I found this wool rug at the thrift store a store years ago and have used parts of it for different projects throughout my house, but this has to be one of my favorites. I'll share some of my other projects made with this rug soon. The best part about this is, the rug cost me $1!

Since I’ve used this rug for so many projects, I had a few pieces to work with.

Decide how big you want the bottom of planter. I traced a lid to get the size I wanted.

Cut out the bottom piece.

You'll need another piece of fabric that will fit around the bottom piece. I had to combine two pieces to made a long enough piece for the basket. I lined up the two pieces of rug together and stitched them together.

Next, line up the edge of your fabric to the bottom piece and start stitching together.

When I finished stitching the sides to the bottom, I stitched the two meetings sides together.

I folded the top down a little bit and added stitching for a more finished look.

The basket is pretty much done at this point, but needs some decorative embroidery. I randomly added stitching to different parts of the pattern.

Fold the top down (if needed) and you have the cutest embroidered basket planter ever!

I'm not great at keeping plants alive, but heard that umbrella plants are low maintenance, so I'm going to give this a try! I'm open to any tips and advice on keeping this plant alive!

If you like this, you might like these other upcycled rug ideas.

Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

• Gloria

I have been looking for a way to cover the discoloration at the bottom of my ceramic planters. After trying paint (peeled) and rope (discolored) this looks like a project that may work. Thanks for such a great idea!

• Dorothy

super cute!!!!