Ugliest Fireplace In the Country!

$275.
3 Weeks

This is the hideous, beastly monstrosity we inherited when we bought our house nearly 4 years ago... with the quarantine in place, we finally had time to work on it! FINALLY!

Little secret inside..

Trapped within this time capsule of ugly, was the cutest, most charming little wood burning stove!

New frame

The brick surrounding the stove was in pretty bad shape, so we supported the original mantel and the brick below it with the 2x4s...then just finished a new frame around the stove!

Now comes the fun part!

French tile..

The tile I chose was beautiful and had this antique, faded print in these lovely, muted colors...

cutting the tile was not as complicated as I feared and basically it was a matter of fitting the pieces together like a puzzle...

And here she is!!!

I used trim that I stained to cover the mantel and all the edges.. I also matched the corbels with the same stain..we’re still working on the hearth floor but all in all... I LOVE how she cane out!! Whaddaya think????

• Kelli Cook

I love it!!!! I just bought a house with a fireplace that doesn’t have a flue nor a liner. I’m going to put a wood burning stove in it! They painted the stone ugly grey, can I remove the paint or just repaint it? Can’t do your pretty tiles since Unlike bricks; stone is eneven. Suggestions?

• Jessie

I wanted to make it smaller not larger which would have been the case had we gone with the distances required. This stove is properly vented out the chimney and it did pass inspection when we bought it in its original plywood covered frame. We figured making it smaller and allowing the stove to have its face outside of the structure couldn’t be any more dangerous than it already was, especially covered in a non flammable surface like tile.

• Susan Fuselier

Where did you get the tile?

• Kelli Cook

What can I do with this ugly fireplace.

• Jessie

What’s your budget? What behind it? Can you repaint to look like pretty fieldstone?

• Cherie

Beautiful but not usable! And who cares since it IS just stunning!!!

• Bonnie Bowness

Hi Jessie, You were right saying it was the ugliest fireplace in the country,You have done an incredible job on it though.Now its one of the most beautiful fireplace in the country.I dont think i have seen one nicer.It is absolutely stunning.You have a real eye for beauty.Your fireplace is an extreme makeover and created with class.You go girl!!! Cheers Bonnie